Love those three little words!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Love those three little words! No not "I love you", rather "Skew handle up" and "Gouge handle down." Those little words made all the difference in my using those tools. Don't recall who said it on this forum, but thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Funny .... I was taught by a local world-class woodturner that the skew handle should be anchored on my hip bone. And I should move my whole body to control the skew.

Rockytime

Funny .... I was taught by a local world-class woodturner that the skew handle should be anchored on my hip bone. And I should move my whole body to control the skew.

You are so correct. However, I turn sitting down and turn only small items so I do not use long tools. I turn sitting due to balance problems. I guess for most turners your method makes complete sense.

LOL. So funny but I'd love to hear I love you more often than not. Ha ha. I remebered my dad who always say "Skew handle up" and "Gouge handle down" whenever I;m doing something wrong.

low_48

Are you using the skew as a scraper, or are you making shearing cuts making curls? As a scraper the handle must be above the cutter, as a shearing cutter, the handle must be below the cutting end.

KenV

Add -- keep the elbows tucked in and use the ABC and you have most of it to keep going

Bowl gouges can be just fine at center line and horizontal ---

(I do most turning sitting because of bad joints -- or I do not turn long at all if I have to stand)

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
You are so correct. However, I turn sitting down and turn only small items so I do not use long tools. I turn sitting due to balance problems. I guess for most turners your method makes complete sense.
Me too Rockytime. I turn sitting down since I am a full-time wheelchair user and turn sitting in my wheelchair. Your mnomic works for me just fine I also use short chisels.

KenV

Long Handles on turning chisels is a newer approach that appears to have come onto the turning world with more power on lathes and a desire to hog off wood faster.

Nothing at all wrong with shorter handles if you are not hogging off lots of wood fast and do not need the leverage --

low_48

Long Handles on turning chisels is a newer approach that appears to have come onto the turning world with more power on lathes and a desire to hog off wood faster.

Nothing at all wrong with shorter handles if you are not hogging off lots of wood fast and do not need the leverage --

What's your idea of newer Ken? I think Ellsworth started using them 45 years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom