Lets see your dust collection at the lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I finally got a dust collector. Now I'm trying to figure out how to set it up at the lathe

I see some people just having the hose somehow behind the lathe I know there are various hoods and scoops etc available and I'm sure as many shop build ones.

What have you found easiest to use and most effective?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have a ceiling hung JET Air room filter, and a Jet Canister/cyclone unit placed between two lathes.

The Jet mini has a filter hose mounted under the bed. The nova has a back jury-rigged dust filter hose. I have a simple port with 2 hoses that I use a blast gate pipe section to open and close the hose to whatever lathe is needed.

I have been very pleased with this setup, with my only regret was the next higher Cyclone unit - more suction - since I have two hoses sections, there must be some small leakage, and the better motor would have given a stronger overall suction. But $$$...

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 3,930
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 856

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
NOTE: My setup is more for fumes and small chips - not the large stuff - its not powerful enough.

And the blast gates was installed after these pics.

plano_harry

I started with Curtis's design:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/darn-near-perfect-penturning-lathe-dust-collection-52714/

Then perfected it...:wink:

Tapered box funnels airflow to outlet, poly cutting board material reflects light, is lite weight and stays clean, The top is cut at a angle to give me clearance when I remove it and held in position by small strips of velcro - the bottom can be used alone. I can bring my light right down on top of the plexi which give great visibility. Strong magnets hold the box in place. Air is ducted out the back to a quick connect airgate and then through the back wall of my bench. I made a larger box to use with my collet/mandrel when required.

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 701
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 748
  • close box.jpg
    close box.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 948

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
NOTE: My setup is more for fumes and small chips - not the large stuff - its not powerful enough. And the blast gates was installed after these pics.

Does it get a good bit of the dust when you sand?

Its fine for the medium/fine stuff, but as I said - not powerful enough to really get the larger stuff. Its more like a current drawing stuff down. Acrylic/Alumilite will get pulled down easily to clog the grate, but heavy wood will not be sucked in.

Just previous post!!!

WOW... Harry, nice set-up. Looks like you are doing wood surgery!!! Save the blank, save the blank!!!

Last edited:

Krash

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/darn-near-perfect-penturning-lathe-dust-collection-52714/

Tapered box funnels airflow to outlet, poly cutting board material reflects light, is lite weight and stays clean, The top is cut at a angle to give me clearance when I remove it and held in position by small strips of velcro - the bottom can be used alone. I can bring my light right down on top of the plexi which give great visibility. Strong magnets hold the box in place. Air is ducted out the back to a quick connect airgate and then through the back wall of my bench. I made a larger box to use with my collet/mandrel when required.

Oh baby! I gotta make me one of these! Harry, this is sweet!

ossaguy

\

Wow,that's a nice setup!

Steve

ossaguy

I finally got a dust collector. Now I'm trying to figure out how to set it up at the lathe

I see some people just having the hose somehow behind the lathe I know there are various hoods and scoops etc available and I'm sure as many shop build ones.

What have you found easiest to use and most effective?

I started with my store-bought clear hood from Rockler,that has the hinged lid.I mounted a piece of angle iron on the back of my 46-460 lathe,using the existing tapped holes.I had to weld/modify the existing stock hood bracket to make it work,but now can snap it on and off with a simple vice-grip.

I was going to make it a magnetic mount,but never got around to it,and the vice-grip works slick.

I mounted my blower under the lathe,using 5 chainsaw handle anti-vibe mounts,so the vac shakes but you can't feel it on the cart.The bag was getting plugged up too fast,so I homemade a separater on wheels,with quick connnect fittings for super fast set up.That took away some of the suction but it outweighs the bag plugging up problem.

When ca/accelerator fumes contact the clear hood it discolors it fast.So I have an old cruddy one with it's own cruddy looking hose that when doing ca,I'll switch hoods,and take the bag off since it's just pulling fumes away.That works real good.I do it outside,so make sure the wind is on my back,too.

i think I've posted pics here before,so I apoligize if it's a repeat.If not,then here's a couple.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,766
  • IMG_4031.JPG
    IMG_4031.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_4033.JPG
    IMG_4033.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 487

plano_harry

i think I've posted pics here before,so I apoligize if it's a repeat.If not,then here's a couple.

Steve

Steve, I have seen a couple of pics before, maybe in a thread on portables, but I always enjoy looking at your setup. That has to be the most complete portable rig ever!:good:

I have many large tools on my dust collection and use blast gates to control when a tool is in use. For the longer runs I used PVC drain/waste pipe, and then short pieces of flex to the tool. Most of my tools are used only for wood and it can move a lot of material. But in doing so creates a LOT of static electricity. I ran grounding wires through the PVC from the dust collector to each machine.

It is a good idea to do this, but if I had to do it again on the lathe 'leg' I would run the wire mostly on the out side. The wire catches every piece of acrylic threads that gets sucked through it.

Mike

SteveJ

I might have the best collection yet shown...

It includes acrylics, stabilized, aluminum, burl, exotic and just plain old wood.

Attachments

• Dust collection1.jpg
    Dust collection1.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 545
  • Dust collection2.jpg
    Dust collection2.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 402

Dan Masshardt

Thanks for the ideas so far

Truthfully though, I don't want a box around the thing and have to change it out every time I turn a bigger project

Maybe if I one day dedicate a lathe to pens that will be my solution

I'll probably try something very basic to start

Old Lar

My collection system pretty simple. It is a Jet collector with a couple hoses running all over my shop floor. I finally ran an overhead to the lathe the other day so my wife and I don't trip over them walking through the shop.
This setup collects all the dust and small chips. The larger chips fall to the floor. It is simple but effective. No dust.

Attachments

• dust collector.jpg
    dust collector.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 648

JD Combs Sr

Here is my setup.

Simple but keeps dust out of my face. Includes a dust mask and face shield for larger items or goggles for smaller items such as stoppers and ornaments. Yes it gets in the way on a occasion especially when I want to drop the handle a little on a tool but usually I can place it far enough to the side to relieve that problem.

IMG_3331.jpg IMG_3333.jpg

CrimsonKeel

Dan im reading Richard Raffans book on bowl turning right now and he had a hood collector that had one pipe wrapped around the front of the headstock and a similar one to the back side. looks like he build a shield that fit over these two pipes that was removable for larger pieces. best picture i could find of that im talking about.
Turning Wood with Richard Raffan - Richard Raffan - Google Books
The front and back openings are at the lower bottom

Cmiles1985

Thanks to Dan for starting this thread! I got some pretty good ideas, and with an hour of piddling around, an $8 cutting board from Sam's, some scrap oak and an old reactor shield from the lab that we don't use anymore, I ended up with this:

I'll do a little turning tomorrow evening hopefully to try it out. At only 330 cfm, I doubt my DC will pick up many of the chips, but hopefully it will keep the fine stuff out of my respiratory system. Thanks for all of the ideas y'all!

Edit: I may be making some revisions now that I'm looking at the picture! I shouldn't have had my 2 year old "helping" while I was in the design process!!

Last edited:

JasonC

I picked up the PSI lathe hood a while back and tried it with my Shop-Vac. With a 4" to 2 1/2" adapter on the Shop-Vac it was horrible. Picked up a Jet DC1100VX-CK at 15% off and have been working on getting things set up.

I have one 4" duct running to the lathe with a blast gate, coupler, and a short piece of hose running to the hood. I have an elbow on the back side of the wall that is coupled to flex hose.

To collect the mess at the drill press I ran a 4" x 4" x 2 1/2" Y fitting at the drill press with a 2 1/2" blast gate and 2 1/2" rigid flex hose with hood.

Overall I'm happy with the PSI hood. My only complaint is that the tailstock locking lever hits the hood when I move the tailstock.

Attachments

• 10418162_4385459891942_4350093796734107190_n.jpg
    10418162_4385459891942_4350093796734107190_n.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 622
  • 10338793_4385460051946_7435606828137164910_n.jpg
    10338793_4385460051946_7435606828137164910_n.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 547

jsolie

I have this behind my lathe:

i-n5ks6FP-M.jpg

It doesn't work so well for chips and other cruft, but I didn't get a dust collector for that. It does work wonders for dust. I've seen dust float up and into the intake, even when power sanding bowls. I think I got it from Grizzly, but it's been so long I don't rightly remember anymore.

Top Bottom