Laminated Pen Blanks - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2005, 12:22 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Quote:
Originally posted by wdcav1952<br />...I firmly believe that this forum needs "an Eagle." ...He is a Pandora's Box of ideas....
"...Pandora was expecting to be able to look and see who or what had called her. Instead the creatures of the box flew out in a torrent. Round her head and body they flew quickly stopping only long enough to bite and sting. Each of them were hateful spiteful creatures. She tried to shut the lid to stop their rush for freedom but they had escaped. After they tortured her for long moments they flew off to seek Epimetheus. What had she done..."
Old 09-02-2005, 12:55 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by wdcav1952

I would like to respectfully disagree with your assessment of Ron's post. Given that Eagle has posted his laminated pens, and Frank has posted pictures of Eagle's blanks, the timing of Ron's post is suspect. Then, his starting line ("Making laminated pens similar to the ones we see here on IAP is very simple.")to my eyes can only be seen as a shot at Eagle.
William,

This thread was started because Eagle showed a pen that he made that had lamination in it. Someone asked him how he did it and he gave an answer that I, and apparently others, saw as being smug and self-righteous.

The first posting in this thread was an attempt to share common knowledge thet Eagle did not want to impart. Whether or not it was because of conceit, laziness or whatever, that was Eagles decision.

Rather than rag on Eagle about his motives let me just post part of a note from Jeff "Scott Greaves and I created penturners.org as a place for penturners to share information, display their work, socialize with like-minded friends, and come together to educate each other and further the craft. " http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4653
Old 09-02-2005, 01:43 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Nicely stated Lynn.
timdaleiden is offline   Top
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2005, 05:21 AM   #24 (permalink)

William, do you mean that since eagle posted a pen with laminations that nobody else dare even talk about the method or attempt to do it? That anyone else daring to share the "secrets" of pen making is an automatic challenge to you or eagle?

Snide asides and lectures on "motives," "manners," and the "Golden Rule" do not seem to be lessening the air of discord. It, rather, seems to promote it, doesn't it?
Old 09-02-2005, 05:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
Activities Manager Emeritus

Photos: 6

Lynn,

Given the discord between Ron and Eagle, and the timing of the post, I choose to stand by my opinion.

"This thread was started because Eagle showed a pen that he made that had lamination in it. Someone asked him how he did it and he gave an answer that I, and apparently others, saw as being smug and self-righteous.

The first posting in this thread was an attempt to share common knowledge thet Eagle did not want to impart. Whether or not it was because of conceit, laziness or whatever, that was Eagles decision.

Rather than rag on Eagle about his motives" - Sorry, I think you stopped a little late on this noble idea.

Tim,

I think you would admit that there are those who take shots at Eagle because of ill feelings toward him.

Randy,

Ouch! [:I] You got me on that one. Let me look up the term Freudian slip before I try future literary references!

Bob,

http://www.rhlschool.com/reading.htm

To All,

I come neither bury nor praise Eagle. He is a lightning rod for controversy. My point, which perhaps was made poorly, was that personal attacks from anyone detract from the overall good done by this forum. I feel that those who attacked the PMG and their decision Ron's pen were wrong. I feel Eagle could express himself with more prudence on the site. I strongly feel that some critiques on the site are motivated by the personal feelings of the poster rather than an honest critique of the pen itself. I believe that Eagle can be an irritant at times. Whether you choose to scratch that irritant into an open wound, or treat it like the lowly oyster and make a pearl is up to you.

As always, my opinion and mine alone.

“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Thomas Sowell, PhD
wdcav1952 is offline   Top
Old 09-02-2005, 06:24 AM   #26 (permalink)

William, You cut me to the quick! Was that supposed to be clever or another snide attempt at humor at someone else's expense? You are very, well not so very, good at that! Snide, yes! Clever, no........ Sorry. And yes, you asked for it very much.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:31 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ldimick
<br />
Quote:
Originally posted by wdcav1952

I would like to respectfully disagree with your assessment of Ron's post. Given that Eagle has posted his laminated pens, and Frank has posted pictures of Eagle's blanks, the timing of Ron's post is suspect. Then, his starting line ("Making laminated pens similar to the ones we see here on IAP is very simple.")to my eyes can only be seen as a shot at Eagle.
William,

This thread was started because Eagle showed a pen that he made that had lamination in it. Someone asked him how he did it and he gave an answer that I, and apparently others, saw as being smug and self-righteous.

I am not sure exactly which "smug and self righteous "
post you are referring to.
At the risk of bringing up a sore spot would you please direct me either here in this post or in a p.m. the post which you are referring to?
I'd appreciate it.
Based on Jeff's, yours and others comments you should have enough to choose from.

(edit in 9:36 a.m.)
The previous request goes out to<b> ALL </b>forum members not just the poster I have quoted.
If you believe a reply will drag this post out I welcome replies sent through my e-mail.
Thanks
"smugly and selfrighteously yours"[^]
Eagle
ctEaglesc is offline   Top
Old 09-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #28 (permalink)

Enough is enough! This is no longer about making a pen blank. Do you like this site? Stop the bickering!

illigitimi non carborundum
Doghouse is offline   Top
Old 09-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #29 (permalink)

John, You're right! I apologize to one and all.........

Can you abreviate this thread and cut off everything beyond Ron's initial post or lock it at that point. Or is our bull headed stupidity going to be on display for all time? Or let us start it all over again? Do overs, as they say? Ok, let Ron copy out his post and repost it, kill this one, and see if we can keep our mouths shut on the second go around. FWIW.....
Old 09-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 58

No do-overs. Ron has already requested that his account be deleted.
You'll see it's locked in preparation for that. Sorry to see anyone go.

I don't see any reason to sweep "bull-headed stupidity" under the rug.

Logged on members can hide ads
Closed Thread