Laminated Pen Blanks - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Laminated Pen Blanks

Making laminated pens similar to the ones we see here on IAP is very simple. For those who don’t know how it’s done here is a quick method to help get you started.

Supplies:
Pen blanks
Veneer
White Glue
Paper
Pencil
Cauls
Wax paper

Tools:
Scroll Saw
2-3 Clamps

Staring off:
On a sheet of paper draw a rectangle the size and shape of your pen blank. Tracing the blank makes this easy. Now draw a pleasing curve inside the box. It’s best not to make to tight of a curve until you are familiar with this process. A simple S curve is a good starter. With a pair if scissors cut along the curved line. This will be your template.

Transfer the image using your template onto the pen blank with a pencil.

Scroll saw:
Not surprisingly working with curves is easier than using straight lines. No matter how you cut the blank, you will always get a matching pair. Besides, it’s simpler to cut a curvy line than a perfectly straight line on a scroll saw. The best blade to use will be the one that gives you the smoothest finished surface.

Veneer:
Cut a few strips of veneer a little longer then the size of your pen blanks. Be creative here, mix and match contrasting woods for a pleasing effect.

Cauls:
Cauls are just wood blanks that are used to help evenly apply pressure during a clamp up. If your pen blank is 3/4" x 3/4" x 5", make your cauls at least 3/4" x 2" (wider the better) x 6". The narrower your cauls are the more clamps you will need to use.

Dry run:
Gather your clamps, pen blanks, veneer, cauls and wax paper. Sandwich your materials in this order:

Caul
Wax paper (used to prevent the caul from becoming part of your pen blank)
One half of your pen blank
Veneers
Second half of your pen blank
Wax paper
Caul

A quick note here, some veneers will crack if the curve is too tight. Soaking the veneer in water before glue up will help in most cases.

Glue up:
I like using white glue (elmers) because it stays open longer than yellow glue. Next, apply glue to all mating surfaces. If you miss any surface, you may have a void in your blank. Once all surfaces have glue, arrange the blanks and veneer in the predetermined order and clamp. You need to work quickly because you want to finish clamping before the glue starts to set.

When clamping you don’t need herculean pressure, just even pressure. Too much pressure is as bad, if not worse than to little pressure, you don’t want to squeeze all the glue out. Also, too much glue can be as bad as to little glue. With practice you will learn to use the right amount of glue and clamp pressure.

Let sit over night to dry.

The next day unclamp your blank and clean up any glue than has squeezed out. Rotate the blank so the edge of the blank that does not show the laminations is facing up. Now start all over again marking your blank with your template and so on until you have completed all the steps a second time.

There you go, hope this helps you get started! Enjoy!
Old 08-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great!
I'd love to see a finished pen.
ctEaglesc is offline   Top
Old 08-28-2005, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Fine! Make me go buy veneer! Thanks.[V]
http://woodscavenger.tripod.com
woodscavenger is offline   Top
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 232

Shane, you can cut your own. [:D] Since you only need small pieces, you can use your TS or BS to cut the "veneers". Of course, it you use a BS, you'll also need a drum (thickness) sander. [xx(]
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan
alamocdc is offline   Top
Old 09-01-2005, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

The blank should be finished long before now, how's the pen coming?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Actually I'm writting an article on how to make a pen like your ARBEZ this time along with photos.

Would you care to supply some input?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Should be a winner based on previous work.Anything original in the works or do you just copy?
Edit in.
I got the concept from a <b>picture</b> RPM posted and stated so in one of my posts,
I don't know if he was the first to do this but in my album there is a picture of the first pen I made using this method acknowledging RPM with thanks.
The original concept had much larger inlays.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Quote:
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Should be a winner based on previous work.Anything original in the works or do you just copy?
[V]Will it never end?[V]
timdaleiden is offline   Top
Old 09-01-2005, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Quote:
Originally posted by timdaleiden
[V]Will it never end?[V]
At this rate, I am afraid it won't. [V]

"Pictures in your mind are memories" - Kathryn O., 3.5 years old
Dario is offline   Top
Old 09-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Quote:
Originally posted by timdaleiden
[V]Will it never end?[V]
At this rate, I am afraid it won't. [V]
At the risk of being accused of supporting Eagle and agreeing with him [:p][;)]
I have to say that if he does not want to share his system for making laminations that is his business.... He has developed a system for producing finely laminated pen blanks that I doubt I could do..
Personally I will share whatever meager knowledge I have of pen turning with anyone dumb enough to listen to me... but that is just the way I do things...
Eagle has made a lot of us think "outside the box" and that is a good thing... we all need to do that or we become stagnent... there are a lot of other turners here that have done the same... not all have shared how they do things.. or maybe at best they gave us "hints" that made us think about how we might go about doing something..
I am working on something that is a combination of a bunch of "hints and ideas" that I gleaned from others here on the site.. will it work, I sure hope so... will it be perfect, I also hope so but doubt it.. the first iteration of a concept rarely is.

Eagle and I have had our problems... that is a well known fact.. but I know I respect his talents and his ability to produce new and exciting pieces. Am I ticked off that he won't tell me how to do it.. NO.. I like to think that I am smart enough to figure it out given the time and proper tools. I also would like to think that if I did figure it out and posted an Eagle Clone Pen, he would tell me what I did right and/or wrong... and I could also accept that.

Nuff Said.. I am now getting off the soap box.
Old Griz Scroll Art
<i>\"I won\'t be wronged.
I won\'t be insulted.
I won\'t be laid a-hand on.
I don\'t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.\"
J. D. Books
(John Wayne in \"The Shootist\")</b></i></font id=\"maroon\">
Old Griz is offline   Top
Closed Thread