Inexpensive Turning Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

Check this link out for some great tools for the price. These are HSS tools and have been very pleased with them! I have been using them for over a year now. I have 3-4 sets of them. They have worked as well as some of my Sorby tools.[:0] If one dulls I just use another one till they all dull then sharpen them all at once. They take an edge just as well as my Sorby. I tend to use my Sorby to start with because it is a tighter gouge and seems to work a little better to turn down a fresh blank. I find that on some woods that these work best. Some the Sorby. For the price, they're at least worth trying :) By the way, I am not being paid to recommend these. :D Kirk [8D]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkirkb94

Sorry Scott. The tools were item #47100 at Harbor Freight. They are $9.99 for a gouge, skew and parting tool! Like I said, they are great tools. Fantastic when you consider the price. Kirk[8D]

its_virgil

I have this set, item number 3793-5VGA, that I bougnt to practice sharpening and used them a little and love them. I use them about 80% of the time now. Can't beat the price. They also have a set of 8 tools for about $30 that may be better.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jkirkb94
<br />Sorry Scott. The tools were item #47100 at Harbor Freight. They are $9.99 for a gouge, skew and parting tool! Like I said, they are great tools. Fantastic when you consider the price. Kirk[8D]

Fred in NC

The larger set has 8 full sized tools in a wood case. It is HSS steel, with nice handles. I have been using these tools well over a year, and like them. Link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47066

There is another set that I use all the time. These are 12 smaller tools. They are carbon steel, NOT HSS. However, they are a very good quality. Please note that these tools are listed as carving tools. However, in the product description it lists several as turning tools. I have used 11 of these tools for turning, especially for detail work. I even have turned pens with this set. TEN BUCKS !
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=31607

Scottydont

I have a buddy on another forum who is a major lathe tool fanatic and he likes the HSS tools at Penn State Industries. They run about $12.50 a tool. I may have to try the HF. He takes these med. grade tools and replaces the handles with custom turned ones and it works out well for him.

wscrivens

I bought the $35.00 set linked in Fred's post, and so far I am very happy with it. I re-ground each tool, since the factory grind was so rough and full of burrs... I have turned a bowl from a 10" log, and a dozen or so pens with them, they hold their edge well.

walt

Rifleman1776

I have a good e-friend with whom I have traded several times. He specializes in antique tools and had a set of new turning tools he offered to me very cheap. They are large (1" gouge and skew, etc.), five in the set. No trade name or country of origin. I bought the whole set for $23.00 including shipping. They are fine tools. Take and hold an edge well. At $4.25 each I would have recovered my investment after one turining project. I am of the opinion that many tools on the market come from one or two factories and vary only in packaging, labeling and price. I got lucky.

woodscavenger

I have long been a fan of HF tools. Most of my shop is from them. I have 2 lathes, a bandsaw, mortiser, router, disc sander, grinder, and too many hand tools to list. You need to spend a little extra time in setup but at this point in my life (more time than money) that is just fine with me. Someday I will be able to be a tool snob, but not yet.

Pennstate has the Benjamin's Best 3 pc HSS Pen Turning set on sale half price, $14.95. This price is hidden in the email specials section, http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PSI&Category_Code=E-10184

Ken

woodscavenger

I think if you keep looking you can get the 5 pc mini set for the same price. I just got mine and love it for the ability to do small work on center bands and finials.

GlennM

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I have this set, item number 3793-5VGA, that I bougnt to practice sharpening and used them a little and love them. I use them about 80% of the time now. Can't beat the price. They also have a set of 8 tools for about $30 that may be better.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jkirkb94
<br />Sorry Scott. The tools were item #47100 at Harbor Freight. They are $9.99 for a gouge, skew and parting tool! Like I said, they are great tools. Fantastic when you consider the price. Kirk[8D]

I have a set of those. Great value. I don't use the gouge much but the skew and parting tool get frequent use.

Gregory Huey

Every one seems to have good things to say about the HF chisels. When I first pulled up the page you posted it brought up an $8,000 dollar generator and I thought these are going to be some very serious chisels to need a generator. All kidding aside I have a set of the Benjamin's best from PSI. Been using them for over 5 years and still think their great.

cjthomas

John,

I would be interested in what grinds you found that work best with corian. I have lots of it and turing it to round feels almost like trying to make a rock round.

its_virgil

I have two sets of the HF tools...8 for $9.99 and love them. They have a set in a box that are a lot heavier feeling and all around better looking tools in a wooden box.....8 for $30 that were on the cleareance corner at my local HF for $16.99. they had 6 sets, so maybe they are on clearance at other stores. I have not used them yet so no report.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I have long been a fan of HF tools. Most of my shop is from them. I have 2 lathes, a bandsaw, mortiser, router, disc sander, grinder, and too many hand tools to list. You need to spend a little extra time in setup but at this point in my life (more time than money) that is just fine with me. Someday I will be able to be a tool snob, but not yet.

G

Don't over look the sets marked for wood carving.
I have a set like the ones Fred posted in November and they come in handy if you want to experiment gringing a special profile for that "tricky" spot.
They wind up costing about $1.00 a chisel.
Ialso have the longer handled set.
Since I turn pens sitting on a stall stool,I have no qualms about whacking off the bottome of the handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom