How to store bushings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hexhead

I have more than a few bushings. I've been storing them on nails pounded into a piece of wood with their heads cut off. I would be also interested in how you guys store your pen tools and pen parts.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

I have found that it is easiest to keep the bushings in the same plastic baggie that they came in. That way they are labeled and I put them all together in a small tupperware container, like the ones that lunchmeat is often sold in. Whenever I purchase that type of lunchmeat, I keep the plastic container as they are really useful all around the penshop. I use them to store polyurethane for a dipping station, place parts that are "in production" so that they all stay together and even store some of my pen kits in them. I lablel the lid, such as "Cigar kits-chrome" and so I don't have to open the lids frequently to see what's inside. I hope this helps. Its worked well for me.

Jim Smith

For a couple of bucks, I picked up one of those lazy susan spice racks at Goodwill; the kind that have five spice bottles on each side. This works great for me; especially since I switched over to using Johnny CNC bushings that do not have a hole through them. I labeled the caps of the spice bottles and the rotaing rack holds 20 different types of bushings in a relatively small space right on my bench.

Jim Smith

I use the HF storage mentioned above. Then I used LOML's label maker and labeled each mini-container and put another paper inside the mini with the bushings (yeah, I know, it's anal - but it works!) :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Recently I saw very interesting answer to this question, I don't remember who was using it but he was taking a quarter inch bolt, putting the bushings on the bolt and then adding a wingnut.

They can be labeled with sticky back. Seems like a pretty cool idea!!

Ed

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I use pill bottles made a holder that fit a drawer works real well for me:

Attachments

• bushing storage.jpg
    bushing storage.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 246

flyitfast

Search results for: 'storage'

I picked up a 24 box storage unit from HF when I had the same question.

:good: I agree on this one. Besides being very inexpensive, it has the feature that most other containers don't have. If you drop the box, the little containers stay closed and you don't have all the bushings mixed up. I hate sorting bushings.................
gordon

sbwertz

I keep them in their original bags and stick them on a magnetic strip mounted on the wall behind the lathe.

Sharon

walshjp17

I use small boxes (3x5) and put bushings, drill bits, pen mill shafts/sleeves, instructions and whatever is needed for each pen kit I usually turn. When I want to turn a pen, I just decide which style, pull the appropriate box and select a blank. No need to look for anything -- it's all in one place.

76winger

My way of storing bushings, BT sleeves and bits

My way isn't the most space efficient, but it keeps everything in order for me and when I'm ready to work on a particular pen model, everything is in place and ready to go. I've been getting these red cases at Menards since I started turning pens, just add a case or two as I get more models under my belt. The cases are made by Plano.

Here they are stacked an put away, and a couple opened up to show how I've got a line in each box for keeping the drill bits, bushings and barrel trimming sleeves, along with any assembly aids I've made. When I have seveeral models that use the same set of drills, then the drill compartment is surrounded by the bushings for the pens that use that size. Each bushing set is also still in its original bag for identification.

As I get more I'm thinking I may have to come up with a new method, but for now - it works for me. :cool:

kooster

One more vote for the HF 24 bx. containers. However, I found that the compact/stacking feature was a bit annoying when I had to access a specific box.
I removed them from the original container and bought a larger compartment container from Michael's or JoAnn's and now all the small boxes are visible. I also label each box (on its side) and insert it into one of the compartments as such. Very neat, visible, easily accessible, and as mentioned, stay closed if dropped.

wouldentu2?

I store mine in the little bags I get with pens. A small paper inside telling me what pen it is for and these are kept in a small divider box with various tubes and drill bits. That way all my pen making tools are in one container.

Top Bottom