How to make a metal core bangle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BangleGuy

Hello all! I am a newbie to the site and wanted to show some pictures of how I make a metal core bangle. I have started with a large piece of Desert Ironwood and use a hole saw to form a wood blank.

Attachments

• tn_DSC00710.jpg
    tn_DSC00710.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 520
  • tn_DSC00711.jpg
    tn_DSC00711.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 509
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BangleGuy

Then, I core the ID by using a smaller hole saw. I chuck up the bangle blank in the lathe and rough the ID, OD and length. On most of my bangle blanks, I then vacuum stabilize the blank to make sure it will be dimensionally stable. The wood must be DRY before gluing.

Attachments

• tn_DSC00712.jpg
    tn_DSC00712.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 497
  • tn_DSC00717.jpg
    tn_DSC00717.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 591

BangleGuy

I glue on the stainless steel core, and let it cure overnight. I then turn the OD and apply a wax or CA finish. The ID is polished with a rotary tool and a fine grit unitized deburring wheel. It is ready to be sold! Thanks for looking! BG

Attachments

• tn_DSC00722.jpg
    tn_DSC00722.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 610
  • tn_Ironwood.jpg
    tn_Ironwood.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 510
Last edited by a moderator:

BangleGuy

AK, that is correct. I am using a Lennox brand bi-metal hole saw in the picture. I have cut about 75 wood bangle blanks with this saw and it is getting a little tired. Probably the African Blackwood and Ironwood that is killing it :)

I do have some tricks I use to keep the blade life up. It is hard to describe, but basically it involves drilling slightly off the edge of the wood to allow chips to exit the cutting area from the edge, and/or I peck drill and clear the chips from the saw blade gullets with a block of wood or my shop vac.

I have started using Bosch brand carbide tipped blades and they work great. The don't plug with chips and usually clear chips well from the cutting area. I have my drill press on the lowest RPM, but I wish it turned a bit slower...

Top Bottom