How do you store your pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimdude

I spent several hours today rounding up my pen kits looking for a nice Sierra. Didn't find it and I started thinking that I need a way to store them. How do you store your pen kits until needed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

Each kit type gets its own bin. Those that we make tons of get a bin for each finish. The ends of the bin get a label stating what is inside and the bins get stacked below a work table for easy access.
LG1_18721806.jpg

Last edited:
Basically these type of storage "tubs" are the best way. I use smaller shoe box size. I DO however use the Exact same tub to transport to my work to shows

Each kit type gets its own bin. Those that we make tons of get a bin for each finish. The ends of the bin get a label stating what is inside and the bins get stacked below a work table for easy access.
LG1_18721806.jpg

PenMan1

STORAGE BINS? Storage bins? You don't need no stinking storage bins! Just open up all those little baggies and dump all the parts on the work bench with all the other parts, pieces and dust bunnies!

That way, you can start each session in a fun and festive Holiday mood. AN EASTER EGG HUNT, every time you go to the shop.....HOW EXCITING!

(well actually, that was NEVER my intent, but seems to be the way it always works out). I actually bought a bunch of those storage bins, but I can remember where I put them.

Submitted with tongue in cheek:)

sbell111

Basically these type of storage "tubs" are the best way. I use smaller shoe box size. I DO however use the Exact same tub to transport to my work to shows

LG1_18721806.jpg
The bins that I use are 10.5" x 8" x7".

76winger

How about cardboard boxes with dividers?

Cheap and keeps them on order when you don't have a lot in stock.

Attachments

• image-1902997619.jpg
    image-1902997619.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 409

allisnut

peg board!

Boy, I feel like an odd ball. My kits are hanging on peg board above my bench. I have my lathe about 3' out in front of my bench, so I turn the pen, the I just have to turn around and take a step to the final assembly area. I try to keep the bushings hanging on the same peg as the kits.

Adam

Kretzky

I too use the stackable plastic shoebox approach.
Sometimes (if I don't use a lot of that kit) I'll put more than one kit in each box, seperated by a labelled card divider.
I also put a label inside at the end of each box (readable through the side) telling me what kits are in each box, that way I don't have to open the boxes to see what's inside :rolleyes:. I can also swap & switch the boxes/ kits if I need to rearrange without the hassel of removing permanently attached labels.
Hope that helps
David

Mason Kuettel

Boy, I feel like an odd ball. My kits are hanging on peg board above my bench. I have my lathe about 3' out in front of my bench, so I turn the pen, the I just have to turn around and take a step to the final assembly area. I try to keep the bushings hanging on the same peg as the kits.

Adam

Mine are this way as well. I have limited peg space so some of the more common kits are kept in bins.

bradh

I use a series of tilt out storage bins of different sizes, like this one:
You can see when you are out, and I add a label for the kit type and finish. I pull the ink refills from the kit so they store easier.

Attachments

• bin.jpg
    bin.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 376

MarkD

I have all my kits hanging on pegboard using various length pegboard hooks. I have one kit/plating per hook. Some of the more popular kits/plating have several hooks.

dogcatcher

I scored a set up like these a few years ago, each unit is about 1 foot square with 6 bins in each. A hardware store had changed the wholesaler of their nuts and bolts and sold these cases. I got everything except the flat trays sitting in the top. that even included several hundred nuts, bolts, and washer that were left in them. I have them in my shop at home and some in my shop area in New Mexico. With these I also use plastic shoe boxes that stack on top of them. Sadly I could use another set of these bins.

hillman%20display.jpg

Top Bottom