International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default How to do laser inlays

I would like to learn how to make laser inlay kits. I have an Epilog Mini45 and I'd like to use it to make some custom inlay kits for myself but not sure where to start. Do I turn to size first, then put on the rotary device and cut? if so, do I have to do this with several blanks to get the different colors and woods? Or is it all cut out of "flat stock" and then put together in a square blank and turned down all at once? or what? Can anyone tell me how this works to get me started?

thanks,

Mike
Old 01-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 112

You would do it with round stock and cut on a rotary device. You use several blanks for a design.
Constant Laubscher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Laubscher View Post
You would do it with round stock and cut on a rotary device. You use several blanks for a design.
That is very nice of you to give him the Info Constant seeing as how that is what your business is all about.
Just felt you needed a pat on the back for that. Its what makes this site work.
Jay
Diet Coke in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming

\"WOO HOO what a ride!\"
Have a wonderful day!
woodman928 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I appreciate the info too Constant. This site is very similar to a message forum that I frequent for the laser engraving side of my business and I've found that, for the most part, people are very helpful and willing to share their expertise. I have no plans to start making and selling laser cut inlays, but also feel that if I have the means to make my own, I shouldn't buy them...that's just the way I was raised...but I do find that sometimes it's just easier to pay someone $15 for something they have perfected rather than me spending 3 days trying to get it right and wasting $50 of supplies along the way! So although I WANT to make my own, I reserve the right to buy from the forum members here at any time without bringing shame on to my family name!

Thanks again for being so helpful, this is definitely what makes sites like this work!

Mike
Old 01-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman928 View Post
That is very nice of you to give him the Info Constant seeing as how that is what your business is all about.
Just felt you needed a pat on the back for that. Its what makes this site work.
Jay

I have no problem sharing info to get someone going, be sure it is more than just cutting a hole and put a piece of wood in it. The key is to have a great/almost perfect fit and that is up to the person cutting the kit and the person making the pen and in between lots can go wrong.
Constant Laubscher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceengravers View Post
I appreciate the info too Constant. This site is very similar to a message forum that I frequent for the laser engraving side of my business and I've found that, for the most part, people are very helpful and willing to share their expertise. I have no plans to start making and selling laser cut inlays, but also feel that if I have the means to make my own, I shouldn't buy them...that's just the way I was raised...but I do find that sometimes it's just easier to pay someone $15 for something they have perfected rather than me spending 3 days trying to get it right and wasting $50 of supplies along the way! So although I WANT to make my own, I reserve the right to buy from the forum members here at any time without bringing shame on to my family name!

Thanks again for being so helpful, this is definitely what makes sites like this work!

Mike
Mike,
What forum can I frequent to find out about lasers? I am interested but am in no hurry to get one yet. Would like to read all I can and learn a little before I jump in.....

Thanks!!

Currently running Silicone Mold advertisement
Full line of Silicone Casting Molds (Horizontal Blank, Vertical Blank, Block, "Tube-In" casting molds for skins and labels, Bottle Stoppers)
"Tube-In" molds include Slim/8mm/Designer/Sierra/Sierra Click/Cigar/Jr Series/Gent Series/Clicker/Patriot/Zen.
PTownSubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

i would like to know more about laser cutting and engraving i would like to get into it someday but want to know all that i can before i drop the money.
oldtowncanoe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you guys would like to meet an AWESOME group of people that know, between them, most anything you need to know about engraving, visit www.engravingetc.org . They went to a pay site about 2 years ago, but for anyone serious about the industry, it is well worth it. For a free forum that has a lot of the same members but not quite as active, checkout www.engraverssource.com .

Hope this helps.

Mike