Help please identifying wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wscrivens

Here are scans of a pen blank I cut from some "mystery wood" my son found in the scrap bin at a gun store (Along with some gorgeous curly maple and walnut) It is very hard and dense, and smells like burning rubber when you cut it. I almost think it's a plastic in the bakelite family based on the smell, but it doesn't behave like any plastic I've used. A ny ideas what it is?

Walt

20051222189_Wood01.jpg

200512221852_Wood02.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Goncalo Alves maybe? It might help to identify it if you would sand one side and repost the pic.

PenWorks

It does look like snake wood with our the eyes, but you wouldn't be finding snakewood at a gun shop. I would bet Goncalo Alves as well.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
The burning rubber smell and density might make me believe it is desert ironwood.. have never gotten that smell from Gongalo Alves... I know that desert ironwood absolutely stinks when you turn it..

woodpens

I was thinking Cocobolo also. However, it has that "underground" look like Thuya and Desert Ironwood. The color and figure do look like some Cocobolo I have in my shop.

wscrivens

Originally posted by Gary
<br />Goncalo Alves maybe? It might help to identify it if you would sand one side and repost the pic.

Here are scans of sanded sides and a quick coat of sealer on one half.
I talked to my son (who got the wood for me) about the various suggestions you have made, and he said desert ironwood is frequently used in guns and smells bad when you work it.

Many thanks to all of you!

Walt

2005122202858_Sanded1.jpg

2005122203215_Sanded2a.jpg

Gary

He is right in that goncalo alves, desert ironwood and cocobolo are all three often used as pistol slabs. I've turned all three, and I do remember that the desert ironwood has a strange ordor to it. Looking at the pics with the sealer, I would bet that is what it is.

ilikewood

I've got both Cocobolo and Chechen that looks just like it. Both are hard and heavy and have "unique" smells. Cocobolo almost smells like burnt cinnamon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom