Help with decal paper. Not sticky.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfabilene

I've read every thread I can find on applying decals to pens. Turned, sanded, 2 coats of thin CA, MM to 12000. I'm using Testors decal paper. Instructions say dip in water for 5 seconds and set on paper towel until decal slides off easily. I follow exactly - decal has no adhesion at all. I placed one last night. Smoothed completely. This morning the decal slid right off the pen.

What am I doing wrong? Not enough time in water?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfabilene

Yes. Sealing the decals (after the first one lost all color upon dipping in water).

Seems like all the adhesive stays on the white paper backing.

drmike

How old are the decals? I can remember this happening with old model kits or decals I had saved when a kid.

wouldentu2?

I have had the same problem once in awhile. I never figured out why it happened. All of a sudden I never had it happen again.

I place the decal in the water for a guesstimate of 15 seconds and remove it. If the decal can be slid off easily I use it. If it does not move back into the water for another 5 to 10 seconds. It will then come off.

dfabilene

How old are the decals? I can remember this happening with old model kits or decals I had saved when a kid.

Just purchased from Hobby Lobby. They could have been sitting there a while - it took 4 people to help me find where they were.

drmike

I don't know the shelf life of a decal but that could be it as I have had the same problem with ones I know were more than a year old.

Top Bottom