Drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

srs64

Try to make this short but my day event were nice I hit a few bumps, drilling 7mm blanks tight tube fit no problems 3/8 on the other hand top end has wobbling and to loose to use and the exit on bottom tight.

Using new bits also

And on acrylics had 2 blow out on bottom?

Any ideas

Sherman

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Good points so far. I noticed you said you were blowing out the bottoms. It's a good idea to NEVER drill through an acrylic blank. They will bust 95 out of 100 times. Drill long and the cut to length. You still get 2 blanks for a Sierra so it's well worth it!

ctubbs

Very rare, but some bits do come fresh with a slight bend. Lay the bit on a flat surface, place a light source on one side and look from the other side as the bit is slowly rolled. If the end comes off the surface or a gap forms under the middle, the bit is bent and will never drill a true hole. Send it back to the supplier for replacement if new. As always,YMMV.

Charles

siturner

Make sure your drill press table is level. Check it...even if your bubble is off a little. It makes a difference on the back end.

kooster

Also, using good quality, higher end bits makes all the difference in the world. Well worth the little extra you spend in the long run, especially if you're literally wasting blanks. I invested in a set of Colt bits. Best investment (after my lathe) I ever made.
Just a thought !!!

John Den

My way with metal and acrylic

This method is particularly relevant for drill acrylic blanks. as well as metal.

1. I drill on my metal lathe.
  2. Very small start with a center drill.
  3. #40 pilot drill to its maximum depth 0.1" at a time( 2 turns of the tailstock handle) This pilot drill clears the way for the non-cutting, central chisel edge of the 7mm drill bit and also guides the 7mm drill bit concentrically for its first part of its journey.
  4. Then withdraw and clean off swarf.
  5. Cool with denatured alcohol keeping the bit cool enough to touch.
  6. Drill through with 7mm drill de-swarfing after each 0.2" cooling as before. (watch the drill shank before it enters the blank and if all is well no wobble will be apparent.
  7. Hole is absolutely concentric and viewing through the headstock shows no "wobble" at all!
Regards,
John

Adillo303

Plus 1 on drilling on the lathe.

Do you use the pen blank chuck?

Since I got my 1642, i leave the turn crafter 12 set up for drilling and polishing.

Carl Fisher

The most common reasons I've found for a drilled hole to be larger on one side than the other (applies to both lathe and drill press) include: runout on the DP or misaligned centers on the lathe, bent drill bit, drill point ground slightly off center, grain pattern causing the bit to wobble. I'm sure I missed a few, but those are the more common.

Top Bottom