Drill press chuck key replacement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bon_sai

Last week on Wednesday, I purchased a new Craftsman 12" Drill Press from Sears.

On Thursday, I assembled and chucked up a drill bit for a test run.

Don't know if I was so excited or poorly designed chuck key but the key's handle twisted right off. Called Sears to report and ask for a heavy duty key.

They sent me the new although same style chuck and key as a replacement. Recieved it today.

I decided to look for a beefy chuck key while waiting. Home Depot, Harbor Freight and Lowes had keys but just were not right.

During lunch yesterday I decided to look in a local Pawn Shop.

First key I picked up worked. The key was attached to a 1/2" Makita electric drill.

Took it up to the counter and the cashier said no charge.

Tip is try different manufacturers to find replacement parts.

bon_sai

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Great work scavenging. Since Craftsman really doesn't make anything itself, I'm not surprised a part from another manufacturer worked. I'm only surprised you found it!!

Gary

And what were the ods of finding it in a pawn show? Nice going!

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Great work scavenging. Since Craftsman really doesn't make anything itself, I'm not surprised a part from another manufacturer worked. I'm only surprised you found it!!

Rifleman1776

You shop somewhere else? [:p] For odd ball stuff my first stop is junk shops that resell used stuff, flea markets, antique shops and pawn shops. I used to buy used old screwdrivers to make wood carving tools from. I would heat, file and pound into shape then rehard and sharpen. Except for my time, total cost was usually under $1.00. Drill bits can be purchased for almost nothing. A minute in my Drill Doctor and good as new.

Originally posted by Gary
<br />And what were the ods of finding it in a pawn show? Nice going!

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Great work scavenging. Since Craftsman really doesn't make anything itself, I'm not surprised a part from another manufacturer worked. I'm only surprised you found it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom