Does anybody do this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikewood

I was turning a peppermill tonight out of a maple burl and had to fill a bunch of inclusions. I used a ground turquois and epoxy to fill them in. I add extra so I can turn it down to the correct shape and size.

My problem was this....my round nose scraper would dull in a minute or so because it was like turning sandpaper, so I had to keep sharpening my scraper. Since what I was turning was "like sandpaper", I turned my scraper over and put a nice edge right back on using the turquois and epoxy fill. It just took a few seconds and I flipped it back over and turned again.

I didn't know if this is a technique people use, or just a really stupid thing I did from drinking too many energy drinks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Whatever works. When I first started wood turning, with zero knowledge, I used my round nosed scraper on duck calls 'upside down' for more than a year not knowing I was doing it wrong. [:I] BTW, the upside-down thing makes a smooth surface.

Dario

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Whatever works. When I first started wood turning, with zero knowledge, I used my round nosed scraper on duck calls 'upside down' for more than a year not knowing I was doing it wrong. [:I] BTW, the upside-down thing makes a smooth surface.

I think it works best on harder woods. Sorby actually sells a scraper based on the same principle...of course theirs is a lot more difficult to sharpen and fancier to look at [;)]

whiskey359

I Have made a few pens by filling the holes in Arizona Cholla
with turquoise I ground up in a mortar and pestle. I shaped the entire pen with sandpaper only. I started with 80 grit and went from there. The results were great but it did take a while. I initially started with a scraper but some of the bigger pieces of the turquoise would split or break out and I wanted a variety of sizes for contrast and look. Seems the sandpaper was the best route for me. Good luck, you will enjoy the result.

Cheers, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom