disassembly - tenoned centerband

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I have some older (15 yo) pens that I would like to refinish. All of these have center bands that are outside the tube. therefore, nothing a punch can help with. I have yet to come up with a trick for removing them. Anyone have a technique for them?

I do have some replacement bands, but I am afraid of damaging the brass tube if I take a pair of pliers to them.

Thanks, Carl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Carl -- on the euros and the like that I was turning back then, the center bands were pressed onto the tube after a tenon was cut.

Pliers with a rotational twist should pull straight off -- but do not try to rock them off as that can distort the tube (kinks).

band wrenches should work too -- and minor damage to the finish will cleanup in the refinishing.

KenV

Most of mine are glued on.

Most of the readily available adhesives soften at 150-190 degrees F. Have used a soldering iron to soften the adhesive and then pulll the pieces apart. Slow steady as the softened glue is thick like honey -- but it will move once hot.

It is also easy to burn body parts while doing this.

carlmorrell

I came up with a great (IMHO) solution.

Drill a hole the same diameter as the centerband into a piece of scrap wood. I used 1/2 baltic birch. With a bandsaw, cut a relief slit.

I then had to coerce the centerband into the snug hole with a vice. Then held the piece tightly in the vice such that the vice pressure clamped the centerband. After some tugging, the tube separated. Since the centerband was clamped evenly with relatively soft wood, the band is not damaged!

Now I can refinish the body with CA! BTW, these are 15-20 year old pens originally finished with Hut (shellac/wax/mineral spirits?)

Have a great 4th.

Attachments

• IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 191
Top Bottom