DEER ANTLERS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drayman

i know that sheep horns are shaped by boiling the horn for stick making, here in the uk anyway if that helps. colin.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by eastbay
<br />Just wondering if there is a way to straighten deer antlers? There is just so much wasted meterial. I would appreciate any help and thanks.

If you find a way, let us know. You will be the most popular guy around. Soaking in vinegar might work, it will soften bone and antler is bone. Haven't tried it though.

guts

I read on here somewhere that you can boil them in water then clamp them to get them straight,I think it was on here.

its_virgil

Slightly curved pieces can be mounted on the lathe between centers and rough turned to (almost) a cylinder and drilling will be easier. If the bark is exceptionally nice, judicial drilling will allow the nice bark areas to remain on the surface and makes a nice and different antler pen....don't leave a lot of the bark, but just a small area.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by eastbay
<br />Just wondering if there is a way to straighten deer antlers? There is just so much wasted meterial. I would appreciate any help and thanks.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by gketell
<br />Vinegar softens bones by removing the calcium IIRC so once soft always soft. Floppy pens anyone? [:D]

Hey, there's an idea. [:p] Make one and submit to PMG for it's ingenuity

200799174459_rofl.gif
<br />GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom