International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Corian gluing???

I went to a local cabinet shop today and got a scrap piece of Corian to try and make a pen out of. I say TRY because I don't know if it will work or not. It is only 1/2" thick. He said that the stuff used to come in 3/4 but now it comes 1/2 since that is all that is needed. Does anyone know about this? I would assume I could still get 3/4, but I may be mistaken. At any rate, I have a piece of 1/2" thick corian and would like to know what type of adhesive I could use to glue 2 pieces together and turn, if at all possible. He told me they use a special adhesive that comes with the product when they get it, but I would think something else would work well enough, maybe CA?? I know someone around here has probably done this, so please help me out with any advice, TIA.
"As of right now, this is the oldest I have ever been."
"When you're lucky, CRAP for brains will do." - Grandpa
woody350ep is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

You can make a slim line out of 1/2 no problem. Or you can glue to pieces together with Med ca. Rough up the polished faces add glue and clamp tightly. Let sit 24 hours.

hewunch is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

OK, I was thinking I could but wasnt sure. I have only been doing these for about 2 weeks now. Wow, 24 hrs on a CA glue, but need some serious adhesion. Could I rough them with some 150, or is that too high?
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 9

I've made a few pens out of 1/2" corian. I've got a few on my website and I just uploaded a picture of a pen/pencil set to the members photo gallery.

While I was working at a high school, one of the teachers/coaches there had a father-in-law who owned cabinet store. We'd get huge sheets of scrap corian that was 1/2" thick.

You just have to really make sure that you drill on center and that the drill bit is going true, other wise you may blow out the side. Also leaving the blanks a tad bit longer helps, as you don't have to drill all the way through, then just sand off the end, or if your careful you can chop it off at the miter or band saw.

Even though you can't really do much with a 1/2" blank it still looks pretty good after sanding and polishing.
SamThePenMan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 110

Hi Woody; Make sure you are gluing the 2 good faces together. That way you have 2 very flat surfaces that really need only to be scuffed with 220 grit or higher.

After the CA and clamping (24 hrs. isn't necessary) I wouldn't attempt drilling & turning till the next day. Just my opinion.

The glue joint is very important and if done properly you won't be able to discern it after tutning.

Good Luck!!

I am a proud supporter of
"Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
Your absence won't make a difference!
Mack C. is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I take it a barrel trimmer is out of the question on this, eh :-) Should I trim it up in a disc sander instead?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 3

nope I use a barrel trimmer all the time with it. I said 24 hrs because some experts said it still gets harder up to 24 hrs later.

hewunch is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Jason,
I can get 3/4" solid surface so it's still available. Maybe not from all manufacturers but, I buy mine direct. Use CA to glue it up and it's only necessary to wait until the glue is dry(30 mins. max is all I wait). If it is dry on the outside edges you should be ok.

What shop did you get yours from? I'm in Elkhart and could probably get some of the 3/4" for you. I can also get 1/4" which is what I mostly use.
DozerMite is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 16

I've glued 6 3"X6" pieces together to make a little vase, Sand the sides to be glued on 220 or 300 sandpaper laid on a flat surface. I did it on my table saw table. Once the sides are flat cover both side to be joined with a good coat of medium or thick CA. You can spread it by rubbing the pieces together but be pretty quick. Than clamp snugly and let sit for 24 hr like said. Took me four days to glue the 6 pieces together because I let it sit 24 hours each time I glued a new side one. Small pieces for a pen should be pretty straight forward. BUT DRILL SLOWLY when drilling for the tubes.

I have seen 3/4 inch stock on e-bay several times.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

James, I got it from a place on 20 I think called Focal Point Cabinetry. Just west of Ash where the new Walmart is. Where do you get yours from? PM me if you'd like, we may be able to get something worked out......