Clip alignment question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

I will be turning a few sierra pens that will have a tube in cast logo. Where is the best place to place the clip? Sorry I don't have the blanks yet so I can't post a pic of them. They will be a basic logo with a company name. Thought maybe someone could share what they do

Thanks
Rod

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

I usually place the clip to the side of the logo so it can be seen by others when the pen is in use. Here is an example http://www.undergroundwoodworking.ca/images/2349.png
For the pens I do as wedding pens I put it on the other side so it can be seen by the person using the pen as a reminder of their special day. All this assumes the person getting the pen is right handed. If you know the person is left handed I would reverse the position.

Reactions: RKB

Schroedc

I usually put the clip down the back side of any artwork where if the pen held in the right hand you can see the art. I do also ask with special order items if the end user if left handed and then reverse the tube.

SteveG

You just got 3 suggestions covering the three basic choices. Here is my answer, taking into account all 3 suggestions. I and most are right-handed. If you hold a pen in writing position, in your right hand, there is only one area where the image will be seen. the other positions are covered by the writers hand. So I put the image where it will be seen...to the right of the clip if looking straight at the pen (with writing tip pointing down), with the clip directly toward your view. The logo will then be seen while writing with the pen. An exception is if the image/logo is fairly large, so as to wrap around much/most of the pen. in that case, I believe the best look is to center the image directly opposite the clip.

TonyL

When I write, (I am righty) I like the clip a quarter turn to the right of the logo or any engraving. That's my personal preference if I were to buy a pen or make one for someone (unless they want it somewhere else.). I tend to write/hand the pen with the clip on top (north) or slightly to right or north. This may also give me a view of the logo as I am writing. I do not know what the masses prefer. What do they prefer?

RKB

THanks for the reply's appreciate it. I have not done any blanks with engraving or logos before these ones.

Rod

Top Bottom