International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Default Cleanliness

This tip relates to lathe cleanliness.

I got real sick of always getting water and CA and other stuff on the ways of my lathe and having to clean it off every few pens. So one day while in my pile of stuff that may one day be useful I found some magnetic vent covers that I had bought previously. They look like this. The brand here is FrostKing

What I did was set up my lathe how I normally sand and finish. Banjo all the way to the left. I then cut the pieces to fit and they work great! Here is a picture with them on.

Justin
jleiwig is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 19

great idea, thank you
Old 01-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 17

Just don't leave them on permanently. I had read the same idea for protecting the blades on my handplanes when stored using fridge magnets, looks like the same material. I came back a month or so later and found rust under the fridge magnet card. I don't know whether it is a dissamilar metals thing or moisture is creeping in and causing the rust. Needless to say I don't use them any more.
Rick_G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I just use a piece of cardboard cut to size and lay a couple pieces of papertowel on top of that.
DozerMite is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 100

Holy crap, lathes don't come in the box dirty? I think my 2 jets were white or blue or red, mabey grey...All kidding aside I have a 1X4x6 that I cover with an old dish rag on the ways to keep water off when wet sanding and glueing. But really your lathe is just toooooooooo clean go turn some pens...
www.Classicnib.com
OKLAHOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I use an old hand towel.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLAHOMAN View Post
Holy crap, lathes don't come in the box dirty? I think my 2 jets were white or blue or red, mabey grey...All kidding aside I have a 1X4x6 that I cover with an old dish rag on the ways to keep water off when wet sanding and glueing. But really your lathe is just toooooooooo clean go turn some pens...
I had actually just taken it completely apart and cleaned it when I took that picture, hence the dead blow mallet, allen wrenches and screw drivers laying around. Even took the headstock off and cleaned under there. You would not believe the gunk that can accumulate underneath there!

Seriously thought about stripping it and repainting it too, since the factory paint is so cheap and keeps flaking off. It seems every time I bump into the darn thing I get some red flecks around. I can't have that possibly get into a pen finish! But I'd want to paint it a lighter color, probably white, but then people would think I'm trying to pass it off as a JET which I'm not. Been there and had one. Perfectly satisfied with the PSI lathe.

Justin
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_G View Post
Just don't leave them on permanently. I had read the same idea for protecting the blades on my handplanes when stored using fridge magnets, looks like the same material. I came back a month or so later and found rust under the fridge magnet card. I don't know whether it is a dissamilar metals thing or moisture is creeping in and causing the rust. Needless to say I don't use them any more.
They are only there for finishing. Otherwise I stick them to the front of the lathe.

Justin
Old 01-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 16

I just brush it all off with an old computer keyboard brush after every pen. But I'm not gonna post a picture of the finish on mine. It wouldn't pass my Grandfather's inspection standards. ("White Glove.")

But ya know what? It still makes pens okay.
CSue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Justin - another great idea. Think I will have to try that one too. I use the sandpaper ideas that you put in the other thread.

A Wolfe Family Enterprises, LLC Business
Click on links below for:
Wolfe's Woodworking Blog
Email
* Website * Blog * Facebook
rjwolfe3 is offline   Reply With Quote Top