International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Cleaning Rust off of a lathe

I have had my lathe in outside storage for a few months and have moved it back into our garage. I have purchased some T-9 to aid in cleaning the rust off my lathe. Would it be appropriate to use steel wool with the T-9 to clean the rust.

Jimmy Powell
Jimmy Powell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Group Buy Coordinator

Photos: 13

IIRC the T-9 is more for rust protection than removal.
I've used the Scotch brite style pads on my random orbital sander to speed things up a bit.
Once clean, don't forget to use wood paste was or the T-9 to protect the ways from rust.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 15

I have used the Rust Free product in that line and just needed a green scrub pad, but then I have never had to bring something back from outside storage. At the most it was just condensation caused by using a propane heater.

Last edited by woodgraver; 02-08-2012 at 04:29 PM.
woodgraver is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I use sandpaper and a sanding block. I start at the highest grit I can while still being aggressive enough to remove the rust. Then I move to a higher grit to get a nice shine. Finally I coat it with a good wax for protection and frictionless movement of the material being cut.

Jason
jasontg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 150

I typically use 0000 steel wool to clean up the rust, of course it depends on how deep that rust is, hopefully its just topical. Once that is cleaned up, i use Johnson's paste wax and rub a couple of coats on and wipe off the remaining with a clean t-shirt. tailstock will slide like a charm! I do this about once a week to my lathe and scroll saw table as routine maintenance so i dont have to worry about rust. I have found that on my scroll saw table where i rest my hands(when holding an object to cut) that within a couple of weeks, the moisture in my skin will cause rust to form. makes sense now, but for a while there i couldnt figure out where in the heck it was coming from, it was always in the same two areas
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 35

I saw a Mythbusters episode where the best rust cleaner ended up being diet soda! : ) Good luck.
As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy - My work is online at www.MartinPens.com / www.CigarIllusion.com or FB at MartinPens
MartinPens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinPens View Post
I saw a Mythbusters episode where the best rust cleaner ended up being diet soda! : ) Good luck.
That would be the phosphoric acid. If you want a stronger version that sticks, use Naval Jelly.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the advice.

Jimmy Powell
Jimmy Powell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 93

Before using the very expensive Boeshield T9, you should apply a generous coating of either naval jelly or hog snott (motorcycle rust remover) and let the pink jelly sit undisturbed for 20 minutes. Then remove the "pilled up" rust with WD40, a putty applicator and a scotch bite abrasive pad. I WOULD NEVER APPLY SANDPAPER TO THE BED OF MY LATHE, but there are many opinions on this.

If the first "snott" application did not remove all the rust, keep repeating applications until all rust is dissolved. TAKE CARE TO KEEP THE PINK JELLY OFF OF PAINTED PARTS AS BOTH NAVAL JELLY AND HOG SNOTT WILL REMOVE PAINT.

AFTER all rust has bee removed, clean again with WD40 and towel dry. THEN apply one generous coat of T-9. Allow the Boeshield to dry completely, then apply a second coat.

Then a monthly re-application of T-9 should keep the rust from reappearing.
If it ain't broke.......then a little duct tape won't hurt it!

Last edited by PenMan1; 02-09-2012 at 03:54 PM.
PenMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinPens View Post
That would be the phosphoric acid. If you want a stronger version that sticks, use Naval Jelly.
That is exactly correct....... AND people wonder why the shouldn't drink diet sodas. They are SUGAR FREE.....blink, blink:)
If it ain't broke.......then a little duct tape won't hurt it!
PenMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top