CA mishaps on hardware

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

Do you ever have problems with CA taking the finish off of your hardware or pen? When I need to glue on a center band like on a European pen I use 2 part 5 min epoxy by Devcon. I find it at Sears in the glue section. What is nice about this is, as long as you wipe any excess glue off before it drys, it comes completely off of the hardware without damanging the finish! I just use a dry paper towel to get the large amount off and another wipe of the dry paper towel in a clean spot. Make sure it is completly off.I also have had NO problem on acrylic or corian with it, taking the finish off! Of course, like any glue if you let it dry on the finish you will probably have problems. I use Deft gloss spray on all of my wood and I have never had a problem with the finish coming off if the epoxy touches it. I just wipe it off promptly!

Please note I do not use friction polishes or waxes . I do not know how it would react to finishes on wood other than deft spray gloss

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

You're right about the CA. Seems I size the tenon correctly, come assembly time, it's loose... Then the CA seems to migrate to the band... I'll try the Devcon... Thanks.[8D]

GregD

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />You're right about the CA. Seems I size the tenon correctly, come assembly time, it's loose... Then the CA seems to migrate to the band... I'll try the Devcon... Thanks.[8D]

The Devcon is a good idea. Just something to keep in mind here. When you turn wood, metal,etc... or use sandpaper, heat is created. As we all know, heat will cause expansion. When you measure a part it might be dead on but after it cools down it will be smaller because it lost heat and contracted.That's why in most shops a (+ -) tolerance is given.

GregD

I agree with you jwwoodright. I guess what I'm trying to say is when you've completed a tenon, let it cool down before taking a final measurement. You already know that if you turn it to size it will be to small. So leave it a little big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom