antler / potassium permanganate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lsweeney

Some one another site said that you can use potassium permanganate to darken antler! how do you mix it? where do you buy it? and how do you apply it? Has anyone ever re-cut the little lines back into antler to give it some texture after turning. If so please explain how you did it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Looks like they may not stock it.

It did look like this.

LA0405.jpg.JPG

monark88

Some one another site said that you can use potassium permanganate to darken antler! how do you mix it? where do you buy it? and how do you apply it? Has anyone ever re-cut the little lines back into antler to give it some texture after turning. If so please explain how you did it.

You can also use dye(rit) and colored felt tips. I found that out the hard way.

Russ

Dan Hintz

You should be able to pick it up in crystal form at the local BORG... mix according to directions on the bottle.

ironman123

potassium permanganate

Wow, I havent heard potassium permanganate since I was in the Army in the 60's. I know it made things kind of dark purple.
Just a note.

Ray

Cmiles1985

We use it in liquid form in the refinery world. It's a very strong oxidizer and very nicely colored! There's not much magenta in the oil world! I don't know where you'd buy it on a small scale or in powdered form though.

SteveG

I bought some on EBAY (dry powder) after hearing of thievery application, to color the texture (or "bark") part of the antler. I will be trying it out this week, and report on results.

Top Bottom