International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Default Another use for CA

I've known about this for years. In fact, the first time I used it for this purpose was in the Operating Room doing Cataract surgery. CA glue can be used to close minor lacerations to stop bleeding. We tried it on Cataract patients to close the wound created when opening the eye to remove the cataract. The use of this procedure didn't last long because the CA crystallizes and scratches the inside of the eyelid. Disclaimer: I am not a Doctor. I have a designation as an COMT which allows me to do just about anything the eye surgeon does with the exception of cutting tissue.

When you cut yourself while working in the shop, you can usually wrap a cloth around the impacted part and squeeze until it stops bleeding. Instead of the cloth, wipe the area completely dry the instant before you put a drop or two on the cut. (thick) This is when the fun starts.....spray the drop or two with accelerant quickly to make it seal the cut. It only hurts for a few seconds.

Put a band aid on it and forget about it for a day or two.
okiebugg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 12

See what staying at a Holiday Inn Express can do?
leestoresund is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I think that I'll stick to 'put a band-aid on it' and if that doesn't work to go get a stitch or two.

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. -Emerson
sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

CA glue was created for exactly that use in battle. I prefer it as a finish versus as a stitch.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I have 3 or 4 small cuts on my hand that were on the side of a knuckle and super annoying. Accidentally filled them with thin CA while working on a finish, and it feels about normal now. Haven't had to seal up any fresh cuts with it, but I was aware of the use.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Have used it for this many times, this time of year it does a great job on skin cracking around the finger nails. A small amount at the edge and under the nail and the pain goes away.
wouldentu2? is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

It's more like teargas in my shop, those fumes get into my eyes...WHEW! Looks like I been looking at Granny(from the Beverly Hillbillies show) while she was nakid!

Scott (glad I don't do battle anymore) B
SDB777 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 52

Most professional carpenters carry a bottle of thick CA and/or duck tape. Since for them, time is money, time lost is money lost. Some will even have hydrogen peroxide.

randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

I really wish you would change your name. Every time I see a message from you, my mind sees "Randy Girls".
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was careless a couple of days ago-had roughed one blank but the other was still square. Was talking to my wife and thought I was reaching to feel the roughed blank, and instead put my right index finger between my banjo and the square blank while the lath was turning. The result looked like I had tried to chop off the end of my finger. Ouch.

I am a chicken about stitches, and I tend to just wipe away blood. Stupid, I know, but I had a grandfather that used to check current by wetting his finger first !!!

Anyway, I just kept working with a blue shop towel on it, and while doing the CA finish 20 minutes later, I unintentionally glued the end of my index finger back together. It is healing nicely, and a bonus is that I can actually see the healing through the clear CA !!!! I'm a believer.
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote Top