30-30 shell casing help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

I just bought a bag of new 30-30 shells for 7mm tubes. What is the best way to attach the brass tube? One guy uses some type of black epoxy or something. I am going to powder coat them first and then put the tubes in. Let me know..

Thanks
Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I too sloder mine in and basically have been following Rick's tutorials in the library here. Very well done. They have helped a whole lot and even got the powdercoating thing down.

Sylvanite

Both soldering and gluing work. Each is sufficiently strong to hold the tube when seating the transmission. Whichever you use is a matter of personal preference and the effort you want to put into it. I use thick CA glue. Although a good solder job will create a stronger joint, the extra labor would drive up my prices. So, in my case, gluing is a necessity, not a virtue.

If you choose to solder, then solder the tube in before powder-coating. That way, you won't damage the finish when soldering.

If you choose to glue, powder-coat first. CA glue does not withstand the heat of the powder coating process. Use the glue sparingly and keep excess off the finish.

I have heard of people using rubberized CA glue (which is black). I wouldn't recommend that, as the bond can flex. You want a rigid joint when pressing the parts together.

Regards,
Eric

its_virgil

There are tutorials in the library. I have a couple on my website at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles

Maybe you will get some ideas.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I just bought a bag of new 30-30 shells for 7mm tubes. What is the best way to attach the brass tube? One guy uses some type of black epoxy or something. I am going to powder coat them first and then put the tubes in. Let me know..

Thanks
Brian

cozee

You ask what is the best way to install the tubes. Soldering them in is without a doubt the best way (short of brazing). Even when done with a run of the mill rosin core solder, the joint is nearly indestructible by even the most severe of pen users. I solder tubes in and have done so for a while now. Just cut a short piece of 8mm pencil tubing (Woodturningz) to use as a sleeve for the nib end. Clean and flux all joints and use 60/40 rosin core solder. A propane torch works far better than an iron or gun.

CAUTION: If you solder, there will be no expansion of the tube when installing the transmission. This can cause one to damage or destroy the trans unless the inside diameter of the tube is reamed out to compensate for lack of expansion. Nib installation does not pose problems as the fitment is not as close.

If you choose to glue the tubes in after powder coating, make sure you make the effort to keep the powder from getting inside the casing where the tube will be. This can cause an off center/fitment problem unless you redrill the primer end and clean out the neck.

Last edited:
Brian,
I bought a bag of 30-06.. haven't tried the 30-30 yet...I put my tubes in using a method I saw on either this forum or another I frequent... cut a piece of 1/4" shrink tube, I actually prefer to use 5/8" shrink tube. Just cut about 1/2" or less for the end of the tube that goes into the taper of the casing... you may have to sand slightly to make sure it slips into the casing... I spin mine against the 1" belt sander for about a second. Then I glue the tube with gorilla glue. Leave the 7mm tube a little long at both end of the casing and then use a dedicated mill trimmer to cut the tube down flush with the casing... you may have to ream the tubes slightly. So far haven't had any problems with tubes coming loose or ruining any transmissions.

Top Bottom