The Berea Hardwoods Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The 2013 Berea Hardwoods Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest
Here are the rules:

1 - It must be a kit pen.
Minor alterations such as custom finials, swapped out "pimp stones", custom center bands will be allowed. I will allow the omission of the center band. "Closed end" and "hidden" clips are very much similar and fall more into the "modified" category, so they will be not be allowed. Do not go overboard on any alterations to the kit, this is not the modified contest. If you think it is possibly a questionable alteration, you had best not do it. Pens deemed "overly modified" by the judges will be disqualified. Please don't force this to happen, there are other contests to display those skills other than this one. It will be up to you to determine if you are at the "intermediate" skill level. As in the beginners contest, we will be using the "honor system" with one exception. If you were a previous winner of this contest, it is time to step up your game even more and enter the Modified or the Freestyle Contest and leave this contest to the next group as they advance their skills.
No "kitless" pens will be accepted in this category. There are contests for your "kitless" creations, they are the 2013 Exotic Blanks Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest
and the 2013 R & B Crafts Freestyle Pen Contest.
You are required to include the name of the kit and a brief description of the pen and/or materials and a photo. Feel free to use wood, acrylic (any version) clay or whatever medium you like. You can cast, dye, inlay, segment, or whatever in this contest. Just be sure you follow the KIT requirements as stated previously.

No decal work please. This is a beautiful pen contest not a beautiful decal work contest.

In keeping with the idea to keep a level playing field in the Beginners and Intermediate contests, we have elected to use the "no laser work" rule. You can enter more than one contest and I would encourage you to go all out and put those skills to work in the Freestyle contest. We want the other (beginner and intermediate) contests to be more about the pen, the blank, and the workmanship of the "freehand" turner and less about the fancy CNC machines and the expensive laser equipment. While using this other equipment makes use of very special skills, those skills are allowed to be shown in other contests.

2 - Only one pen per person, so make it your best work. Take the best pictures you can because the quality of your pen will be based on what we can see. Keep your backgrounds and props simple so they do not distract the eye from your pen.
A maximum of 3 photos will be allowed.

As was done last year, we would like to keep the entries anonymous through the use of the entry form. Your photos need to be on a plain solid color background with no props other than a clear plastic pen stand.

3 - - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1 2013 on IAP or any other site. If it is determined that it has been, it will be disqualified and any prize won will be forfeited. As a follow-up to clarify this, do NOT post a photo of your entry ANYWHERE until the contest is over and the winners have been announced.

4 - Finalists will be chosen based on the fit, finish, and "wow" factor of your pen. A panel of judges will choose the top 10 pens and the winner will be chosen by an open poll.
Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places.
1st place --- $100 Berea Hardwoods Gift Certificate
2nd place--- $75 Berea Hardwoods Gift Certificate
3rd place--- $50 Berea Hardwoods Gift Certificate

All entries will be posted at the same time following the contests deadline. This will give all entries the same time "in the spotlight".

All entries must be received by 9:00 PM EST* on Feb 24th.

*9:01 is too late.
Please do not wait until the last minute.

The poll will be posted on Feb
26th, and voting will end on March 5th and the voting results will become public at that time.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRY DIRECTLY TO ANY THREAD on ANY SITE.

ONLY ENTRIES SUBMITTED VIA THE ENTRY LINK HEREWILL BE ELIGIBLE.

"To participate in this or any other IAP activity your public profile must contain your real first and last name as well as you place of residence (city & state or equivalent). Please be advised that information contained in the public profile is not viewable by non-members of the IAP. Members who have failed to successfully complete any previous IAP activities, and who have been notified by the Activities Manager of such, are not eligible to participate in any IAP activities."

Feel free to contact me by PM if you have any questions.

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Entry #1
Teaser Pic

Attachments

• Intermediate entry 1 teaser.jpg
    Intermediate entry 1 teaser.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,802

THarvey

I think the teasers are getting even smaller. My TRS-80 shows that picture as one pixel. ;)

TRS 80?????? As in z80 processor?

I think the teasers are getting even smaller. My TRS-80 shows that picture as one pixel. ;)

The original Tandy (Radio Shack) personal computer with 4KB of RAM. When we moved up to 8KB of RAM that thing was screaming fast. :)

I thought the processor was called 8088. it might be z80 though.

I have had the privilege of working on models 1-3.

TRS-80 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't laugh. I subsidized my college life selling TRS-80 computers.

The Model III desktops had a z80 processor. The operating system was TRSDOS. Came stock with a 5.25" floppy disk drive and 64k RAM for $1,999.

The first MS-DOS computers under the TRS-80 "brand" used an 8088 processor.

The first external hard disk drive, I sold, was 15Meg. It originally sold for $3,000 and was advertised as the "most memory your computer would ever need." :smile-big:

RSidetrack

TRS 80?????? As in z80 processor?

The original Tandy (Radio Shack) personal computer with 4KB of RAM. When we moved up to 8KB of RAM that thing was screaming fast. :)

I thought the processor was called 8088. it might be z80 though.

I have had the privilege of working on models 1-3.

TRS-80 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't laugh. I subsidized my college life selling TRS-80 computers.

The Model III desktops had a z80 processor. The operating system was TRSDOS. Came stock with a 5.25" floppy disk drive and 64k RAM for $1,999.

The first MS-DOS computers under the TRS-80 "brand" used an 8088 processor.

The first external hard disk drive, I sold, was 15Meg. It originally sold for $3,000 and was advertised as the "most memory your computer would ever need." :smile-big:
My first computer was an IBM 8088 - that thing screamed! 10 MB hard drive, 5.25" floppy, 4 color graphics - it was awesome. Then I got a 286 and fell in love :rolleyes:

Too keep this thread relevant - when I first opened and saw the first teaser pic I thought someone made a pen that size! Then I saw the word teaser :rolleyes:

bossef

Hi,

I would like a clarification about this 2 lines that I found in the contest rules:

1- Keep your backgrounds and props simple so they do not distract the eye from your pen.

2- Your photos need to be on a plain solid color background with no props other than a clear plastic pen stand.

The first on is saying that we could use simple props and the second is saying no props...

Which rules precedence?

Regards

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I believe the intent of the rules is that the photo should be of the pen, not of the pen and any little do-dads, widgets or thingy-ma-bobs. Additionally many members use a specific background for every pen picture they take. The photo submitted for this contest should not be easily identifiable to it's owner by the background of the photo. Your best bet is to use a plain background with an inconspicuous pen stand or no pen stand.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Hi,

I would like a clarification about this 2 lines that I found in the contest rules:

1- Keep your backgrounds and props simple so they do not distract the eye from your pen.

2- Your photos need to be on a plain solid color background SUGGESTED TO BE with no props other than a clear plastic pen stand.

The first on is saying that we could use simple props and the second is saying no props...

Which rules precedence?

Regards
Let me clarify for everyone. A prop of a sample of the blank used or other NEUTRAL prop will be okay. If you have previously posted a pen on a "specialty" prop, DO NOT use it here.

Hendu3270

Ok, this is getting out of hand now. 20 entries?!?! How do I possibly stand a chance of even making the top 10?:biggrin: Looking forward to seeing these pens!

RSidetrack

Ok, this is getting out of hand now. 20 entries?!?! How do I possibly stand a chance of even making the top 10?:biggrin: Looking forward to seeing these pens!
I hear you on that! Still going to enter this one though because I am not a beginner but most definitely not an advanced pen turner, so entering this one. At least I will have an idea of where I stack up against the competition :biggrin:

I can't wait to see all of the other pens in full detail either - these teaser pics are killing me!

brownsfn2

Isn't that the truth. I wish this one would have ended at the same time as the advanced contest. Would love to see the pictures already.

Top Bottom