The Smitty's Pen Works Beginner Beautiful Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The 2013 Smitty's Pen Works Beginner Beautiful Pen Contest
Here are the rules:
1 - This is a contest to find the most beautiful kit pen made by a beginner. It is open to any member, who has made 25 pens or less, AND have less than 1 years worth of pen turning experience. This contest is being held on the "honor system". Since I can't actually check on how many pens you have made or when you started turning pens, I hope you will abide by this system. If you are a new member but have been making pens for awhile and surpass the 25 mark, there are still contests for you to enter and win so please let the real "Newbies" have a chance to show their work and maybe win something .

2 - It must be a ballpoint kit pen with no alterations beyond what the kit instructions call for. No roller ball, fountain, or "kitless" pens will be accepted in this contest. There is a contest for other types of kits, it is the 2013 Berea Hardwoods Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest. There are also contests for your "kitless" creations, they are the 2013 Exotic Blanks Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest and the 2013 R & B Crafts Freestyle Pen Contest. You can cast, dye, inlay, segment, or whatever with your blank in this contest. Just be sure you follow the KIT requirements as this is not a modified or freestyle contest.
No decal work please. This is a beautiful pen contest not a beautiful decal work contest.

In keeping with the idea to keep a level playing field in the Beginners and Intermediate contests, we have elected to use the "no laser work" rule. You can enter more than one contest and I would encourage you to go all out and put those skills to work in the Freestyle contest. We want the other (beginner and intermediate) contests to be more about the pen, the blank, and the workmanship of the "freehand" turner and less about the fancy CNC machines and the expensive laser equipment. While using this other equipment makes use of very special skills, those skills are allowed to be shown in other contests.

3 - Only one pen per person, so make it your best work. Take the best pictures you can because the quality of your pen will be based on what we can see. Keep your backgrounds and props simple so they do not distract the eye from your pen.
A maximum of 3 photos will be allowed.

As was done last year, we would like to keep the entries anonymous through the use of the entry form. Your photos need to be on a plain solid color background with no props other than a clear plastic pen stand.

4 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1 2013 on IAP or any other site. If it is determined that it has been, it will be disqualified and any prize won will be forfeited. As a follow-up to clarify this, do NOT post a photo of your entry ANYWHERE until the contest is over and the winners have been announced.

5 - You are required to include the name of the kit, a brief description of the pen and/or materials, and a photo.

6 - Finalists will be chosen based on the fit, finish, and "wow" factor of your pen. A panel of judges will choose the top 10 pens and the winner will be chosen by an open poll.
Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places.

1st place ---$125 USD email gift certificate to CSUSA
2nd place--- $75 USD email gift certificate to Berea Hardwoods
3rd place--- $50 USD email gift certificate to Smitty's Pen Works

All entries will be posted at the same time following the contests deadline. This will give all entries the same time "in the spotlight".

All entries must be received by 9:00 PM EST* on Feb 24th.

*9:01 is too late.
Please do not wait until the last minute.

The poll will be posted on Feb
26th, and voting will end on March 5th and the voting results will become public at that time.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRY DIRECTLY TO ANY THREAD on ANY SITE.

ONLY ENTRIES SUBMITTED VIA THE ENTRY LINK HERE WILL BE ELIGIBLE. Only one entry per person will be allowed.

"To participate in this or any other IAP activity your public profile must contain your real first and last name as well as you place of residence (city & state or equivalent). Please be advised that information contained in the public profile is not viewable by non-members of the IAP. Members who have failed to successfully complete any previous IAP activities, and who have been notified by the Activities Manager of such, are not eligible to participate in any IAP activities."

Feel free to contact me by PM if you have any questions.

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Entry #1 Teaser

enjoy a small look at this entry

Attachments

• beginers entry #1 teaser.jpg
    beginers entry #1 teaser.jpg
    714 bytes · Views: 1,385

crokett

'no props other than a clear plastic stand' ....

so I can't use an existing pic that has a sample of the blank it was turned from in the pic? if not, I guess I need to get or make a clear plastic stand. :)

GrahamColwell

My thoughts exactly... Where can I get a clear plastic stand in Vancouver BC?
Does anyone know a link to a tutorial to make one?
Thanks
Graham

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
My thoughts exactly... Where can I get a clear plastic stand in Vancouver BC?
Does anyone know a link to a tutorial to make one?
Thanks
Graham
No one said the stand was required, it is just as easy to lay it flat for the pics. If it is an issue PM me and we will work it out.

Ehunt

I also don't have a clear plastic stand. So I drilled a slanted hole in a board, place the board under the backdrop, tip of the pen goes into the hole... No visible means of support! Us beginners don't need no stinkin stand :biggrin:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
'no props other than a clear plastic stand' ....

so I can't use an existing pic that has a sample of the blank it was turned from in the pic? if not, I guess I need to get or make a clear plastic stand. :)
I have no problem with this.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Entry #2 Teaser

Another small entry. :biggrin:

Attachments

• beginers entry#2 teaser.jpg
    beginers entry#2 teaser.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,145

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hey, I have a pen left that was about the 3rd or 4th one I ever made - can I enter that -- it's only about 5 years old....chakte and silver-1.jpg OOPS forgot no pictures .... guess I'm disqualified.

Bob Wemm

I am having problems trying to upload my entry.
Do I leave a space between the two verification words or do I join them together.
I've tried six times now???????????????????????

Bob.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Beat This

Can I have permission to enter this one LeRoi Elegant Click 2-22-2012 4-28-25 PM.jpg....

Just kidding --- that is last years Auction Pen. To those who wonder, Yes there are some people dumb enough to pay over $500 for a pen. Actually that was for the blank - the pen was free. But you new turners can see something that can be done as you progress.

Last edited:

USNGSCS

When are the entries really due? One of the calendar pages says they are due today (17th), but this page says they are due the 24th. I just want to make sure I get my pen finished and entered on time.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
When are the entries really due? One of the calendar pages says they are due today (17th), but this page says they are due the 24th. I just want to make sure I get my pen finished and entered on time.
24th, the 17th was the original plan but we decided to give everyone an extra week but the schedule must not have gotten changed.

Edit in: The calendar is fixed. Thanks Mike for the prompt action.

Last edited:

crokett

I don't know if it is just me, but the entries are showing up too small to know what the pens that were entered look like. So I might be excited to see the other entries, if I could actually see them.... :)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I don't know if it is just me, but the entries are showing up too small to know what the pens that were entered look like. So I might be excited to see the other entries, if I could actually see them.... :)
The small pics are by design. Complete images will be posted at the end of the contest.

Buzzzz4

Can I have permission to enter this one View attachment 89569....

Just kidding --- that is last years Auction Pen. To those who wonder, Yes there are some people dumb enough to pay over $500 for a pen. Actually that was for the blank - the pen was free. But you new turners can see something that can be done as you progress.

Hey Smitty, you wanna auction that thing off this year? :laugh:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

You ready to start the bidding at $550?????

Buzzzz4

I've got a blue one I can add to the mix....

Attachments

• penholder27.jpg
    penholder27.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 249

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I've got a blue one I can add to the mix....
nice pen.... but I have a better than fairly nice blue one myself - photo isn't quite as good though. This is a Seamus Rooney Tru-Quarter blank for Delaware.
Del jr gent.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom