Youth Beautiful Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Announcing a brand new contest just for the young turners in our midst. We have decided to have the brand new YOUTH BEAUTIFUL PEN CONTEST!

Here are the rules
YOUTH BEAUTIFUL PEN CONTEST.

This contest is to let our youngest members and turners compete in the Bash Pen making competitions, competing only within their own age groups. There will be 2 divisions. Ages 14 to 16 and under 14 years of age. Your age group is determined by your age on the start of the Bash, Febuary 1st.

Only Ball Point Pens are allowed. NO roller balls or Fountain pens will be accepted.
No laser work or cnc produced pens or parts are allowed.
It must be made from a commercially available kit.
For this year there will be no modifications to the kits allowed.
Adults may assist in the turning of the pen but the entrants must have "hands on" in the making of the pen. (Under 14 category)
The pen may not have been posted anywhere before the February 1st deadline.
Up to three pictures of the pen may be submitted there will be an entry form to submit your pen.

The contest will start on February First and will entries will be due no later than Sunday the 17th at 11:59pm EST. Entry Forms will be available at the start of the bash. Pictures will be posted and a poll or polls will be taken to determine the winning 3 pens. Depending on the amount of submissions we may need to have more than 1 poll to select the winning pens.
Submissions:
All entries are due 11:59pm EST. Sunday February 17th
You must use the entry form that will be provided to submit your pen.
YOU MUST SUBMIT THE PEN UNDER YOUR PARENTS/GRANDPARENTS/ADULT USER NAME. If your old enough to be a member you may use your own member name.
The first poll(s) will be posted on Feb. 18th, and voting will end on Feb. 24th the final polls will be posted and the voting results will become public at that time.

All entries will be posted at the same time following the contests deadline. This will give all entries the same time "in the spotlight".

1st place ---TBA
2nd place---TBA
3rd place---TBA

Rules are subject to change between now and the Official start of the Birthday Bash. Check the official kick off thread for any changes.

If you have a young turner in your family I invite them to join in the Bash Festivities this year. Any questions and Im sure there will be some post them here. I will answer them as quickly as best I can. Remember "safety first" we dont want anyone hurt.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

I'm already hatching all sorts of wonderful ideas.

Any pen blank type is acceptable, right? casting work and all that jazz?

Randy

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Randy as long as its not made from a laser kit or a blank made with cnc machinery. Casting, segmenting, painted tubes, if its all you its all good.

D.Oliver

Okay Okay.....I can't take the guilt any longer....I confess....I did it......I bumped the thread, but it was an accident I swear!

tbroye

8 1/2 year old Granddaughter Tori is out in the shop going through the stash. This could get expensive. May have to order some Alumalite so she can cast a blank. She can do it all but the CA Glue. This should be fun

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Excellent, I am hoping that more members are planning on joining in. Even if as an adult your not planning on entering a Bash contest this is a great way to make a pen with the young turners in your life.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Well, you could borrow a mini adult from the neighborhood and use this as an excuse to teach them how to make a pen. They still have to have hands on but you would get to help and mentor them. Does that help?:biggrin::biggrin:

Other wise no it doesnt. :eek:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
All though since your in Florida and if you happen to live in a 55+ community your screwed.

PR_Princess

Well, you could borrow a mini adult from the neighborhood and use this as an excuse to teach them how to make a pen. They still have to have hands on but you would get to help and mentor them. Does that help?:biggrin::biggrin:

Other wise no it doesnt. :eek:

Hey, I resemble that remark!!! :tongue: Does that mean I can qualify?

InvisibleMan

I think my oldest (11) might want to play. He's made one pen before with my help. I'm positive he'll want to play once I tell him he can pour his own blank:biggrin:.

edit: sorry for the bump:redface:. I know it's against the rules...

My 14 year old son join IAP the minute I mentioned a Youth Contest..then he started drooling over kits/blanks and coming up with ideas...I see an order coming this week

wow..hes that good with photoshop maybe he should have to send his pens in and we not take his work about the pictures he sends in...from now on you send all your pens to me first I will look at them and then post pictures for you....oh yea sorry I wont be able to return the pens afterwards..start making 2 of each one.

NotURMailman

All though since your in Florida and if you happen to live in a 55+ community your screwed.

LOL!

The 55+ group is a bit further south,

I've been trying to get my 14 year old step son to enter, but since baseball season is starting up he has lost all interest in the lathe. I don't blame him, at his age I wouldn't have wanted to be in a shop playing with wood if there was baseball fun to be had!

Top Bottom