Your memories of September 11, 2001 - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

When the Challenger exploded I was in the 6th grade. My computer teacher, My Doherty, rolled in one the of the school's TVs. We sat and watched the whole thing. Even as 6th graders, we understood what we just saw. Not one word was said during the entire class that day. On 9/11/01, I was taking my usual bus to work. A lady sitting some rows behind me yelled out, "Oh, my God! A plane just flew into one of the Twin Towers." I didn't learn about the second plane till I was at work.
acmaclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 67

I well remember. . It was 8th wedding anniv for my oldest son and his wife.

Because of the time diff to the west coast, it happened before I left for work. . A friend phoned to tell us to turn on radio. . Immense shock and disbelief.

I didn't turn on the car radio on the trip to work ... didn't want to hear any more at the time.

Just an unbelievable cloud over the whole day. . Listened to as much as I could take when I got home.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

Last edited by magpens; 09-11-2018 at 03:38 PM.
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I was sitting at my desk at work. We always had the TV on in the background, more for white noise than anything. As system admins, we were having a discussion about how access to our "Secure" government backed network was being given to a foreign power. The boss was facing the TV, and just stopped talking...

It took a minute before we all turned around. No more work was done that day, no calls answered, no doors answered, no IMs answered. We all spent the day, and most of us stayed after our shifts so as to not miss anything.

Two months later, access was granted to companies in Egypt, India, and South America.

Go figure.

To those that were lost, WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Last edited by WIDirt; 09-11-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: grammar
WIDirt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 4

While my partner and I were on patrol, I asked him to stop by the local post office so I could ship a package to my son whom lives in Canada. When I got back in the car, he said, the USA is under attack. I started to laugh at him till he turned the radio up.....I just had chills going up and down my spine.

GOD BLESS the soles who gave it all
gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rob

Photos: 84

I posted the below note on IAP 3 years ago. I still think of the events each day even though I'm long out of the warfight now. God bless and protect those that are our nation's ”sheepdogs"...the defenders of the defenseless.

"Interesting topic. I've retired twice. Once as a federal agent. On 9-11, I was five years into my second career as a fed, this time as the Director of Emergency Services for a very large and diverse federal facility on the east coast. That morning I had just finished a meeting concerning security requirements for a facility that had weapons grade nuclear materiels within. I walked out of the meeting and was pulled aside by a member of my intel section who told me about the first plane. I returned to my office and turned on the TV. My secretary stood there with me as we watched the second tower get hit. She teared up and said she just didn't understand why someone would do what we watched. A few minutes later my boss (roughly equivalent to a town mayor ) came to my office. As we talked I brought senior staff (police chief, fire chief, etc) into the office. It was clear our nation was under attack and we were now players. As a federal facility, we shut down roads, air traffic, boat traffic (we had waterfront property) and nothing moved without approval. An absolute nightmare for the 10s of thousands of people that lived and work on our facility. Not to mention we were on the glide path between NY and DC and had things that if hit by a plane would have impacted the whole mid Atlantic region. Lots of sleepless nights for me for a while, but had been blessed with more than 600 cops, firefighters, EMTs, 911 dispatchers and support staff that really stepped to the plate. Our lives and the way we had done things changed forever that day. I attended a fairly high level meeting in DC a few days latter with federal counterparts. Some of us were sent to NYC the next week. One of my most prized possessions is small glass vial that contains debris from Ground Zero. It will forever remind me of those that were lost and those that gave their lives trying to save others."
Old 09-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 32

I was on board the Kennedy. It was my very first day at sea. We skipped our work up and headed straight for the gulf. Ironically, my last cruise was on the Carl Vinson, where I got to be apart of throwing Bin laden’s ass overboard.
Mr.tune is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 441

I was driving back to one of my two Day Care Centers (Administrator/owner) after dropping some K-4 kids off. I believe it was a bit after 9 AM.

This was in the suburbs of Cleveland, so we had a local concern for plane #4, not identified until later. But, I had children from local FBI (we knew of them), probible CIA (we knew.. but didn't know of them), and Local Police agents (we knew of them)... We got calls VERY early - within minutes of the first plane. All they cared about was their children.

We had had banned any TV's in the building a few years earlier for teaching quality, so we had no way to view what was happening. The entire building, 9 staff (teachers) and 55 children were transfixed on the radio the rest of the day. Very stressful as we had parents calling every hour to check if their children were safe. I stayed at that center all day, but had 95 children and 26 staff at a second location. All emergency protocols for evacuations were tested before 11 AM at each location.

I have to say that the day was very surreal. The children were obviously aware that the teachers/adults were worried about something. While all went well, many "children pick-ups" were especially heartfelt that evening.

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads