You know, it is a wonder any of us "oldies" are alive today! - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vic View Post
A stick, the string from the Sunday Paper, a sturdy scout knife and I was set for the summer.

I was 13 when my stepfather saved enough Blue Chip and Green Stamps for a color TV.

Now 6 and 7 year olds are running around with Apple Watches....
Oh my goodness, I had forgot about Green Stamps. Mom used to get them and the books from the grocery store and we had a dedicated Green Stamp Store down in Ardmore that we got to go to a couple times a year and she would pick out some really nice things for the house that she wanted. Oil was $3.00 per barrel and we was so po, that we couldn't afford the other "o" and "r" to spell poor. Thanks for bringing those up Vic that's a good trip down memory lane.

Even the wisest mind has something yet to learn

Last edited by Hopco; 12-06-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Hopco is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 224

If our offspring are all fat lazy slobs it could be because they learnt it from us.
If YOUR kids are what you describe then it is YOU that has failed as a parent and role model.
My kids have achieved more so far in their young lives and are many times more active than I am or ever was.
It's real rich to see some folks here that sit in front of keyboards and have post counts that look like international phone numbers whining that the kids spend so much time using the tech that their parents bought them.

Cut them some slack, or turn back the clock and fix your own damned mistakes.

Jeesh...!!!!
Old 12-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Not to mention the younger generation will be prepared for the current trend of the world. Computers control everything now and it's no harm at all to know how they work.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Wagner11 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 1

The only thing I can remember from a bike wreck was skinned elbows or knees. I even had a motorcycle and never owned a helmet. I only knew of one guy who had a helmet. I'm 70, BTW.
Edit: Now i have an outside faucet that wastes water unless you turn it on full force. We had enough smarts to let the water run until the water was cold.

Last edited by Woodchipper; 12-06-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Woodchipper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner11 View Post
Not to mention the younger generation will be prepared for the current trend of the world. Computers control everything now and it's no harm at all to know how they work.

I couldn't agree more, I think computers are great and wonderful. As a person that owned one of the oldest and longest running tech firms in the state, I certainly concur. My daughter could work one better than I could by the time she was 12. However, if you can find one that will change a flat in the middle of the night or fix that hokey light switch in the hall, then show me that bad boy. Because as far as I know, that one just hasn't been invented yet. My daughter was taught to use tools at a very early age and so was my granddaughter. In fact my granddaughter took to them more naturally than my daughter.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I think this sums it up nicely: “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

Of course that was said by Socrates or Plato or someone back there. (the reference depends on who you are reading).
MTViper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTViper View Post
I think this sums it up nicely: “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

Of course that was said by Socrates or Plato or someone back there. (the reference depends on who you are reading).
It's good to know that ever since then, that we've continued to progress so much, that not only what they said was true then, but that they continue to be true today. I love that fact and would love to be around a thousand years from now, when they are saying the same thing.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
My husband and I were just talking about how when we were in grade school (about third grade or so) the teacher went around and put about a teaspoon of liquid mercury (quicksilver) in each of our hands. We played with it for a while, then she gave each of us a penny and we rubbed the mercury onto the copper penny and it turned silver! Magic.

Now if a fluorescent bulb breaks in a classroom, they evacuate the school.

We didn't have seat belts, rode bikes with no helmets, rode horses without hard hats, roller skated down the sidewalks without knee pads or other protection, etc. Yet here we all are today. Amazing, isn't it.
How about the x-ray device in the shoe store. That counts.
And smoking wasn't dangerous nor fried foods.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.

Last edited by WriteON; 12-06-2017 at 08:59 PM.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

This calls to mind a story I once heard. I don't know if it ever really happened but I like the message:

An woman who had lived to be over one hundred years old was sitting on a bench. A few seats over was a teenager on his phone.
The old woman looked over and said to the kid " I bet your parents always tell you how lucky you are to have grown up in a world with technology." Expecting a lecture from the old woman the kid simply nodded his head awkwardly.
The old woman looked at the kid and said "my parents said the same thing to me about electricity."

The story may not even be true but the point certainly is. It's the same old song and dance. Only the name changes.

Wagner11 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

[quote=Wagner11;1954387]
Quote:

This calls to mind a story I once heard. I don't know if it ever really happened but I like the message:

An woman who had lived to be over one hundred years old was sitting on a bench. A few seats over was a teenager on his phone.
The old woman looked over and said to the kid " I bet your parents always tell you how lucky you are to have grown up in a world with technology." Expecting a lecture from the old woman the kid simply nodded his head awkwardly.
The old woman looked at the kid and said "my parents said the same thing to me about electricity."

The story may not even be true but the point certainly is. It's the same old song and dance. Only the name changes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, that darn indoor plumbing will be the death of us all. The sentiment isn't a bad thing. I agree and also gripe about how hard my parents had it. I think that's one of the things that drives us. You give a lazy person the hardest job in the world and they'll find the easiest way to do it.

Last edited by Hopco; 12-06-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: This was supposed to credit Wagner11 with most of this post but with technology I screwed it up..:) And then tried to fix it.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads