You know it's cold outside when...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

You step out bundled up like Eskimo Joe & your eyes freeze open.
Your nose freezes up solid, you can't feel your limbs, and you cry for no reason. Then, to add insult to injury, the snow is little sharp needles of ice that stab you on any exposed skin like a tattoo gun when they blow around.
It's like being inside a sandblaster full of broken glass.

But, the dogs still need to go out.
:wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

You cannot get a line in the water.

69C4CB50-5483-4628-846C-092F4F64D7B4.jpg

WIDirt

I have to agree with Brian. Here in Madison, we've been experiencing negative temps for 2 weeks, with wind chills at -30. And I get to work outside in it! yay.........

When I take out our two chihuahuas, 1 at a time, once each to pee, then again after their paws warm up to poop..... We have it down to an assembly line. Wife puts on Mila's jacket and leash, I take her outside while wifey puts on Olive's jacket, then I take her outside while wifey puts on Shine's jacket, then I take out Shine, then I take them all again in the same order....

Can't wait to get a yard of our own again! ...looking for a house.....still looking.....Soon!

Last edited:

stonepecker

I remember back some 35 years ago...... local wind chill was -90....air temp was -35.
Got my car to start because I had a tank heater on it. All it did was blow cold air.
After driving around slowly for over an hour. STILL no heat from the heater.

I can fight the cold. It is that wind chill that gets to a person.

Dehn0045

My two metrics:

Eyelids freezing shut (it is a brief but noticeable sticking feeling when you blink)

Glasses frosting when going inside (fogging is pretty common, but it needs to be pretty cold to get frost)

From my memory both seem to start around the -10 degree mark, but now living in Houston I thankfully don't experience these temps without lengthy travels

MTViper

Spent 10 years in Montana. Shoveled snow at -45 temp. Good thing was that there was only 5% humidity. My judge of cold was when I spit whether it was still liquid when it hit the ground.

SteveG

I am moving to the mainland from Kauai :island: soon: thus, my LAST cold weather joke:

...when you have to close ALL the windows in your house!

Woodchipper

WIDirt, we have two mixed puppies, mostly Chihuahua. We have a friend who showed a dog in the AKC show in Florida a couple of weeks ago. My wife said it was told that Chihuahuas do not like cold weather. I could have told them that! SWMBO is making doggy coats for them- blue quilted material with their names embroidered on the back. It was 14 this morning. They don't linger outside at all.

Beautys_Beast

Wisconsin here. Couple of years ago, after 20 years of working outside, I declared that if the high temperature for the day was zero or below, I wasn't going to work. If the temperature can't show up, why am I expected to? Let the young guys do that crap. Seniority has to have some kind of privileges.

I've spent the last couple days at home. LOL

JimB

My wife and I had to go out this morning for an appointment. It was 0 out but fortunately it has warmed up to 5*. Unfortunately the wind chill is still around -20.

I know it's cold out because all the schools are closed today!

Herb G

I saw online somewhere that my location has had sustained winds of at least 15 mph for the last 17 days. That's 15 mph average, 24/7, for the last 2 1/2 weeks straight.
I can't remember such a windy winter ever.

randyrls

I was in a place in Alaska over the winter (Military) that was sooooo cold that the Eskimos (Inuit) went south for the winter! You really could spit on the ground and it would bounce!

I saw a joke online. "Nice to see that Florida has decided to join winter!"

Top Bottom