You have been around here a while if-

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

In addition to the people mentioned and those in Skip's list, there was a person with a Japanese-like username. . He made a lot of colorful ornate wood pens and posted frequently .

Anyone remember ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Who remembers Jay Pickens? IIRC one of his best pens was on the front page when I joined. He was really the first master of the modified slim line.
This thread is making me feel old but also very guilty that I can't remember all the names that inspired me. :redface:

magpens

Who remembers Jay Pickens? IIRC one of his best pens was on the front page when I joined. He was really the first master of the modified slim line.
This thread is making me feel old but also very guilty that I can't remember all the names that inspired me. :redface:

It would be nice to have a record of all the pens and pen-makers that have been represented on the front page.

Does anyone know if such a record exists and, if so, whether it is accessible ?

nava1uni

I have read numerous references to Eagle and Russ Fairfield. Were they one and the same?
No different people. Russ made wonderful pens and was so willing to share his knowledge. There are a couple of you-tubes that he made still online. I have one of his pens where he converted a Perfect into a single blank. Really nice man

nava1uni

Johnny CNC made great bushings and did some work with aluminum blanks and pens. Remember all of these guys from when the forum first started before it updated and also many were on The Pen Shop, the other forum that closed after a few years.

Last edited:

Curly

No mention of Smitty yet. Colourful character.
I've been around long enough to see Roy Robaldo create Classic Nib and PSI move from "traditional" pen kits to gimmicky ones.
And oh yah, who could forget the toenail clippings.
Did Jeff start the forum with a head of hair?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have read numerous references to Eagle and Russ Fairfield. Were they one and the same?

They are not.

Russ had a website, and developed a process for the "Russ-Line" slimline modification.

I don't remember Eagle's name, but I was a member only a short time when he passed away.

I believe it was William Presavage ??? But here is a link to one of the most viewed pens in the SOYP forum.

Note: "Eagle" had 2 (I believe) IAP posting names, due to... issues :wink:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/pentarsia-15888/

leehljp

Member Liaison
This is a great History Class for pen turning! And this is only part of the story. I know there were lots of personal trials and errors and differences of opinions :rolleyes: well before this forum was started.

KenV

magpens;1950780 It would be nice to have a record of all the pens and pen-makers that have been represented on the front page. Does anyone know if such a record exists and said:
The fine print under the front page photo point to the galleries. 2007 on

GaryMGg

Burlman
Eagle and Russ are 2 different people. I never knew Russ.
Eagle's real name is William Edward Prisavage.
I'm pretty sure his screen name was ctEaglesc.
Here's a link to one of his handmade blanks:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/one-kind-23933/

Eagle was someone you got along with or you didn't--I'm not sure there was a middle ground :biggrin:
He was both a wild man and a loyal friend.
He loved to talk and argue and share his thoughts.
A man named Alvin got me interested in turning but it was Eagle's pens which got me interested in pen making when I saw them in Orlando at KnotHaid's BBQ.

There are many great people and pen makers here (past and present) but I personally believe Eagle to be the most innovative blank maker this craft had ever witnessed.
All of Eagle's "CNC" work was done by hand.

I can think of one other missing member: Bernie "Brokenbit " Tanner.
I haven't spoken with Bernie in some time.
I know his health was giving him a bad time and I don't know if he's still with us.

Scott

I remember a pen that Jay made that involved brass shell casings that were cut away, like a filigree. Beautiful!

And, if you're old, what am I?

Scott.

Top Bottom