Wow...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

For those who were offended by the pictures of my deer, I apologize. That's my first locked thread, and I hope it'll be my last. I posted them in the casual conversation because I was under the understanding that anything in good tast was fair game in that thread. I didn't take into consideration a child seeing the pictures and being traumatized. My son (2 1/2 y.o.)was there for the entire process (he was a little nervous about the deer in the tree, but quickly got over it), and I didn't take into consideration that some people and their children would be offended. My apologies.
Thank you to the forum admin for providing a link to the pictures. I wish that the thread had not been locked, so I could respond and apologize to those offended with a quote.
For the confused as to what I'm talking about, here's the thread...
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9734

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I'm offended at the censorship of one of the most natural acts in nature and a wholesome American sport. My children were never taught that meat comes from the supermarket in neat plastic packages. Maybe my on-line handle should be censored (Rifleman1776) because it conotes the historcial fact that guns were used to shoot and kill people in the struggle for American freedom.

BogBean

Hi Dave,
I say wow also! This part of the web site says "Casual Conversation" off topic. Which means to me non pen conversation. I did not see anything wrong with your post and I am sorry you had to go though the politically correct ideas of some people. Tom, said it the way I feel about this....

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
You know, folks, this is not about censorship (the links are there) or about whether or not we should teach our children about hunting. It's not about natural acts. It's not about heritage. It's about posting graphic pictures on a family site.

I am positive that Dave meant no harm in posting the pictures. I'm not a hunter and not too squeamish (I was a corpsman). I didn't find the pictures to be offensive for the "right" audience. I also don't find many other pictures of "natural acts" (undefined, but you get the picture) offensive for the "right" audience.

I do think, however, that we all need to be mindful of the fact that how, what and when we teach our children (or grandchildren, in my case), is a highly personal decision. On a G-rated site, even under casual conversation, we need to be mindful of that.

vick

I am form Michigan and have been deer hunting several times and while I do not find the pictures offensive I believe most reasonable people could see how others could. I bet their are many "natural act" you would not like your children to see pictures of. Please lighten up on the censorship declarations. Even the Michigan paper puts a disclaimer on the link to the hunting photo's not to go their if you will be offended. This is from a state that many counties do not have school for opening day of rifle season.

M

Mudder

I can see both sides of the conversation, but in the end we must consider this.

This is Jeff's site. Even though it has been funded by donations it still remains HIS property and HE is wholly and solely responsible for it's content. If Jeff says that he does not feel it to be appropriate on his site then we should abide by his wishes. I was a hunter for several years but a shoulder injury ended that.

For those who continue to cry censorship, perhaps you should start your own site where you are responsible for it’s content.Let’s not forget that we are guests here.

Mudder

Ron Mc

I don't think this has anything to do with "censorship" at all. It has to do with giving other members of this site the opportunity to teach their children about the aftermath of hunting when and where they would like.
My boys are older and understand hunting, yet having raised them I would have been amazed and shocked if my younger children were exposed to this on a pen turners site. My kids wouldn't be allowed back.
I stand by my original post.
"I believe that Mark and anyone else should have been given the opportunity to teach their children about hunting when they feel it is appropriate not when their child goes into a Pen forum to see and read about pens and finds a picture of 2 dear hanging there being cut up.
Congrats on a successful hunt Dave!
Just my opinion."

This sure isn't being politically correct. This is giving someone an opportunity to raise a child at their speed.

I'm confused.

If the pictures where found offense how come the thread was only lock and not removed?

I just heard about this thread today and had no problems finding it or viewing the pictures.

IMHO the pictures where not in the least offensive nor did the deer look like Bambi. Killing animals is a fact of life if you eat meat. If you don't eat meat than... (deleted)

BTW - I'm not a hunter, never was, never will be (unless one day hunting will be the only means of putting food on the table).

Do I hear dueling banjos all of a sudden?

My two daughters find this site bloody boring. So I have to wonder who was really offended here.

Here is a story I'd like to share. I was online with a bunch of woodturners talking about (what else) woodturning. My youngest notices that I'm in a chat room and quickly warns me about the dangers of chat rooms. My oldest quickly chimes in and says "They are a bunch of old gray haired guys - who would want to kidnap them!"

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't lock the thread because I have no problem whatsoever with the discussion. I simply replaced the posted photos with links because I didn't feel it was necessary to surprise someone with those photos in a topic called "back from vacation". I would have done the same thing with photos of other facts of every day life that your children should be familiar with such as auto accidents, Rwandan genocide, or Iraq battlefield photos.

I am simply amazed that anyone would have a problem with my compromise solution. Some of you guys just won't give an inch will ya?

I received two interesting emails. One accused me of being unpatriotic because I apparently don't believe in the Second Amendment. The other suggested that I ought to get out in the world and learn where meat comes from. Some of you guys have a really off-base impression of me.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Jeff, I see no problem with what you did with the original thread... none what so ever.
I also do not think you are anti Second Amendment for your actions... an interesting comment considering the deer was harvested during a bow hunt not a gun hunt and no one made any mention or comments about gun control or other political statements about hunting. Nor would I suggest that you have no idea where meat comes from...
Just keep us straightened out with a gentle nudge now and then and I think we will do OK... It is sometimes hard to understand that those photos might have been upsetting to some when you have lived the life of a hunter...

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Old Griz
...an interesting comment considering the deer was harvested during a bow hunt not a gun hunt and no one made any mention or comments about gun control or other political statements about hunting.
Exactly. People make some weird and nonsensical connections.

Originally posted by jeff
<br />I didn't lock the thread because I have no problem whatsoever with the discussion.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

If you can not submit a reply, then the thread is locked. Is this correct?

Am I wrong in thinking this is an example of a locked thread?
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9734&whichpage=1

Don't take me wrong Jeff, This is your house and your rules. I assure you I have no problem with that.

guts

dave,please don't be offended by some peoples ideas or the way they think about what you do for a living or what you do for pleasure,i think as long as you understand the way different ways people think then you will understand why the misunderstanding took place, if that's what it is,all you need to do my man is keep defendind our country and someone out here will defend you as long as you don't break the law,so from an old jarhead viet nam vet,listen to the c.o.says and you being in norfolk v.a. you know jeff is trying to run a tight ship,and to you jeff i say do whatever it takes to keep it alive,sorry for the rambling but don't like people messing with our defenenders.

Woodnknots

Okay, I didn't want to create a firestorm here. Yes, the thread was locked. Yes, I did post graphic pictures of harvested deer, and one pic of the processing... process... I simply wanted to apologize for offending anyone. It never crossed my mind that anyone would be offended by those pictures. I simply wanted to share what was a very exciting time for me with some of my online friends. Nobody needs to bring up the second amendment, etc... Locking the thread was Jeff's call, and he made the right call, right or wrong... Meaning, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of his decision. It's his sight, he make right right and wrong wrong. Yes, it is censorship in a way, but he has every right to do it. If this was a public sight, he'd be limiting my right to free speach. But, it's a private sight. He isn't violating anyone's rights here. Thanks to all that appreciate the sight of a very large deer taken with a bow. To those that I offended... I apologize.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Just for a final clarification...

I am completely in favor of deer hunting. And Dave, I'm very impressed by your take with a bow! Folks, the ONLY thing I did was to edit the pictures to be links rather than embedded photos so that anyone with a weak stomach, or kids not educated to the ways of hunting would not be startled.

Dave (and others) I appreciate your sharing your experiences here - it makes us more like family than a bunch of anonymous keyboards. My only preference is that we consider the wide audience we have and be a little careful in posting graphic images.

My best to you all [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom