Would you not sell a pen to someone - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Would you not sell a pen to someone

I was talking with my son a couple of weeks back about upgrading my website to include photo's of pens etc. I also wanted to include a "No Buy" list of names of people I would never sell a pen, or any other item, to. Does anyone else have a list of individuals who they would never consider selling or giving a pen too? I was just curious.
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I have a few people that I would not give or sell a pen to but this list is in my head. I would never make a list for everyone to see.
tomtedesco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 4

If you are trying to sell pens, why would you have a list of "no buy" names?
Old 08-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

What would the benefits be to your business and the buying public to have a section of your page dedicated to the people you won't do business with?

Do you have any examples of other successful businesses that also do the same thing? Or instances that it would be acceptable?

This would appear to be a narcissistic and petty direction to go down. If you really want an honest answer, don't ask other makers that might agree with this idea. Ask your customer base how they would feel.

I very rarely acknowledge who my exact customers are because I let them self identify if they want to. But I would never publicly shame even the worst customer.

You have to remember, that pen people talk and share information through social media, pen shows and meetups. And they don't forget either.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Not related to pen sales, but I was a co-founder of a business that we later sold for $15 million. We didn't do business with law firms or NYC hospital systems. 80% of them that were our customers did not pay our invoices or paid after 6 months and always held something back. I am not saying that this is a good strategy for anyone, but for it saved us a lot of grief. I sell 1 of 5 pens that I make purely as a hobby, there are some friends that I do not offer my services to, but remember, I am not looking to make a living out of this.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

There are a couple of people that are scam artists or know to be problematic, that are known in the pen world. Their names have been circulated in prior years.
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

The first thing that comes to mind are the recent court battles in regards to refusing services to a person. There are groups/people that you may not want to knowingly do work for, but in no way would you want to make it public knowledge. Asking for trouble.
PatrickR is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

There have been a couple people I do not make pens for. He stated names, not group of people.

The few I will not have ordered, with stuff I had on hand, so I made it, and then not gotten paid. Of course they didn't get the pen. Or I am making an order and they want a pen "like that one" on my facebook page. And again, not gotten paid.

The way around it is, now full payment up front, they pick the blanks, and no refunds. (That is for "those" customers). Generally they have declined.

Related story to being a commission employee at Circuit City. There were people we called the renters. They would buy something and return it, raise cane about restocking fee and get it waved. The problem is with us being commission, if someone returned something on us, they took the pay back. Now these people were the ones that would eat up a lot of time to get some new tech. I had one guy who would do that, "rent" a laptop for 2 weeks and return it. A week later come in and get a different one. His argument was always, I wasn't told about the restocking fee when he returned things. So on the renters, I put a note on the receipt saying customer was read the restocking fee before purchase and he responded, I will just say you didn't tell me about it. I actually showed him that and he laughed about it.

Well computers had 2 week return policy and he came in and returned it and flipped out when they charged him the restocking fee. For some reason he refused my help any time in the store after that.
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I can see no good coming from this idea at all. I've actually seen an eCommerce site that had a page featuring the owner's diatribe over the incredible stupidity of his past customers. Needless to say, I would never consider doing business with a site displaying that sort of content.

Should by some miracle someone on your "no service" list actually order something, you can always cancel the sale.

Just my .02.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

I am still learning about pen crafting, I had a number of years i took off due to personal reasons, so I am back now. Personally I would sell a pen to the Devil him/herself if they paid up front and it cleared. Business is business, just my two cents....
Oimmuk is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads