Woodcrafts new lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
For anyone in the market for a new or another Lathe, The staple of Pen turners and entry level turners, the Jet Mini, may have competition.
Rikon the manufacturer of the much heralded larger bandsaws has come out with a lathe that has some interesting features.
It's a 12/16 with an indexer built into the headstock.
It looks extremely well built.
The reason I mention this is I received my Woodturning and Design mag. yesterday and thought Woodcraft might have an ad in it.
Woodcraft from what I understand is a distributor for this lathe.
I spoke with Rikontools tech support the other day and though they do not have an electronic version(variable speed) out yet, there is one on the drawing board.
If the funds for a much needed second lathe ever become available I will give this one a long hard luck.
Compared to the Jet Mini it looks like a lot of bang for the same bucks as a Jet.
I have no affiliation with Rikon and have not seen this lathe in person, but the features are similar to or appear to be"better" than the Jet and thought some of you might be interested.
Body_Home.jpg

http://www.rikontools.com/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

I gave this a once-over at WC the otherday, and I'll agree the beloved mini is in for a fight. The lathe appears to be well constructed, the only thing I didn't like was the belt cover. It looked like the whole thing comes off to change speeds and that might be a PITA. A few notable things are the indexing included as well as a spindle lock. The extra swing could come in handy as long as the motor will keep up with it.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
To me the way the cover flips over to the left but remains attached seems like it would be the reason not to even consider an electronic VS lathe for my purposes.
At this time though another lathe is a pipe dream.

alamocdc

Originally posted by fritzmccorkle
<br />the belt cover reminds me of the one on the fisch. this model looks pretty similar.
I just checked their web site (Fisch) and the castings look identical, actually. The only differences I can see is that the Rikon has a 12" swing (instead of 10") and the locking indexing pin. It's probably imported from the same manufacturer.

Chuck Key

Stopped at Woodcraft today. Here are a couple additional observations regarding the Rikon Mini Lathe:
  • 12 position indexing<br />
  • small molded tool caddy mounted on rear of head stock<br />
  • ability to change the drive belt without removing spindle<br />
  • The local store does not have the extension in stock at this time.<br />

Chuckie

Travlr7

For those interested in the Rikon model 70-100. I must add here that I DO work for Woodcraft, but what I am going to tell you here is as objective a review as I can give you.

I currently have a Jet Mini (Non-Variable Speed) that I have been abusing since 2002. It has served me well. I also have a traveling lathe that is a Wilton VS.

I got a chance to use the Rikon 70-100 at a turning demonstration I did three weeks ago. Here's what I found. It has a 12" diameter capacity and a 16" length, vs 10" and 14" on the Jet. It has a 12 point index. The way of changing belt speeds is easier on the Rikon. The Banjo and tool rest are heftier. There is a catch trough over the motor to catch chips and finish.

This is a double edge sword. While it does what it is supposed to do, It restricts the movement of the motor during Pulley changeover.

I tried my best to bog the motor down. Couldn't do it, even while taking a healthy cut with both a 1-1/4" roughing gouge and a 1" skew.

Another minimal drawback it the pully cover. The hole is offset to allow it to rotate past the hand wheel, but needs to be a little more open on the bottom edge.

The only other drawback was the threads on the spindle. They are rough. However, when the chuck is snugged up, there is NO deflection.

I will be giving it a workout. So, after a month or two, I'll report back.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom