Wood with a story

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Late last year I was contacted by Timberguy, a furniture maker who specializes in making his pieces out of reclaimed wood. He acquired wood from a sunken schooner. The story of The Seaport Shipwreck is here. Additional articles are available, I just opted for the video. :wink:

The construction company that laid claim to the shipwreck contracted John (Timberguy) to make some things from the wood. including pens. John found me on the Internet and gave me a call. Since then I ahve turned ots and lots of Euros.

Here are some pictures of the wood. Much of it can't be turned as is, but with permission, I will cast it later. Here are just of few of the pens I have turned. Most of the wood is pine or white oak. Some of it drills and turns easily. Much of it is as hard as steel! :eek: My drill doctor has been getting a workout and I'm glad I have a lot of spare carbide inserts handy. :)

Anyway, John received permission from the construction company to announce his involvement in putting this salvaged shipwreck wood use. I, in turn, was also granted permission to share my involvement. It is a lot of time consuming work, but all in all, very satisfying to work with this wood.

Attachments

• euro4.jpg
    euro4.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 172
  • EURO3.jpg
    EURO3.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Euro1.jpg
    Euro1.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 127
  • euro5.jpg
    euro5.jpg