Wood Sources

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm amazed at what some people will pay for a pen blank.
At least if it's a nicely figured burl it might be well worth it.

No affiliation to the links below, just some suppliers with good prices.

Amboyna, the most expensive burl
http://www.leetreewoodworks.com/_e/Amboyna/product/PB-011/Amboyna.htm
Also check their other pen blanks
http://www.leetreewoodworks.com/_e/gdept/03/Pen_Blanks.htm

Custom Cut
http://www.australianburls.com/AustralianBurls/PenBlanks/PenBlanksPage1.htm

Some Nice Stock
http://www.burlsource.com/Burl Source - Pen Blanks Page.html

Ebony - $70 to $88 a board foot
http://gilmerwood.com/boards_ebony_unique.htm

More Pen Blanks
http://www.bradsburls.com.au/pen_knifes.htm
http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/shop/cart.php?target=category&category_id=24

Here's a few ads for some dogwood pen blanks
Old ad, check with him, he might have some left http://familywoodworking.org/forums...2469d24d2cdaaf0a4a4d0269d8&p=8051&postcount=1
scroll to the bottom of the page http://www.eastwakehardwoods.com/turning.htm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Ron,

Nice links and I think it will help a lot of our members. This link is also a very good source and an IAP member here too ;). http://www.harrisburlsupply.com/home.php

I believe some members buy from fellow members to help. Personally, I cannot count the times when my IAP sales bailed me out of tight financial situations. A few led to shop "toy" purchases but most are just to stay afloat. In my case it is not just the price that buyers have to consider. Most of my blanks are not milled properly too (not square enough) due to my inferior equipment but members still patronize and buy (again I believe) because they in most part just want to help.

It does help to see what other prices are out there so our "local" vendors can properly compete. Pricing is a tricky thing and I will point out why. It is like selling your turnings to some degree and boils down to how much you value your time and effort.

Some sellers collect their own wood. While initially you may think that is good since it is FREE...it really isn't. You invest in chainsaw, maintenance of tools/eqpt, replacement blades, back breaking hauling, damage to your vehicle, getting hurt, etc. IF I charge for my time and effort...I assure you, no one will pay for any blank I sell LOL. It really is tough to compete with the big dogs and no one (esp members) should be gouged of their money but it helps to understand why the prices are like that. To know that even if you feel it is too much, maybe the person is not taking advantage...just pricing it the way he feels/believes his effort is worth.

Most vendors prospect and buy commercial wood too. Shipping/double handling usually eats up most of the profit. Unknowns like wood damages, voids, cracks, plain wood instead of figured, rot, insect infestation, etc also eat up profit. This "business" has it's own risks and while some vendors may appear as making a killing actually are barely making it.

I am on both sides of the fence...being a buyer and seller and understand why most feel the way they do about wood prices. My thing is just buy what I feel is a good value or move on if it is not for me.

Again, thanks for the links. :)

DocStram

Ron . . . Thanks for posting all of those links!

I am also sometimes amazed at how much people pay for a blank. Like Dario said, it may be to help another member out. At other times . . . I think of it as "contagious buying". I'll see several people buying blanks and then I'll think that I need to "get in on the action". On the other hand, if it's a really great looking blank . . . I'll be ready to pay for it.

Not being much of a capitalist, I would have a hard time with the idea of over charging for a blank. This may just be my opinion, but if I come across some free wood in my neighborhood or a tree that I have taken down in the backyard, I would have a guilty conscience charging a lot for the blank. I'm not even sure how to figure out how much my time is worth cutting up blanks . . . especially if I'm keeping a bunch for myself. There's also the idea that many of us consider IAP to be a family. Personally, this is where I have a difficult time. At the same time, there are members who make a living, or supplement their income, selling blanks.

When it's all said and done, I reckon it's really a consumer driven market. There are times when the classifieds have what I consider to be overpriced blanks ... then I just walk away.

I don't mean to start a conflict with this post. Just my opinion . . . as convoluted as it may be. :D

Texatdurango

Originally posted by DocStram

... There are times when the classifieds have what I consider to be overpriced blanks ... then I just walk away.

I don't mean to start a conflict with this post. Just my opinion . . . as convoluted as it may be. :D
I too am glad to see the links, I had never visited a few of the places and their prices look good.

Doc, I don't think it's starting anything by mentioning that some IAP members are selling items a bit too expensive. I think it's good for new members to know that just because someone is selling here that it's not always the best deal. Price is not always the bottom line though and Nolan's burls prove that. While often a bit higher than other sources the quality of the blank is obviously worth it.

I think its shocking to see how fast the prices of dyed burls have risen in just the year I have been buying them. It's nothing to see vendors asking $6 - $8 for a dyed box elder burl, that is why I would like to add River Ridge Products http://www.rrpwhite.com/acryliwood.htm to this list, as they are really holding the line on increases.

Rifleman1776

While I agree with Dario that free wood certainly isn't free, it is a way to acquire a lot of wood. Financially, I'm sure I am way ahead on my 'free' wood acquisitions. I have sold Dogwood, Osage Orange, Red Cedar and a scattering of others. The d'wood and OO I cut myself. The cedar I bought scraps from a factory at $15.00 for a pallet. I sold (at 50 cents a blank) probably $500.00 off that pallet. Even after my time and bandsaw use, I'm way ahead. Many of my blanks come from trades, only postage cost involved and we end up with two happy peoples. Sometimes on the other side of the world. IMHO, there is very little need to purchase wood blanks if you are even a trifle resourceful.

Russianwolf

Ron, Is that the same West Penn Hardwoods that advertised on the site and subsequently left? If so, I would avoid them.

As far as the dogwood, since we can't see what the blanks look like, how can we compare it to the $72/bf spalted dogwood? The $6/bf stuff may be very plain wood with no character. Like comparing Straight grain Maple to Spalted Maple.

DocStram

Originally posted by Russianwolf

Ron, Is that the same West Penn Hardwoods that advertised on the site and subsequently left? If so, I would avoid them.

Mike .. It's a completely different West Penn Hardwoods. The one in Ron's link is in Olean, NY and a reputable dealer. The guy who was posting in our classifieds is in the slammer in North Central PA.

Dario

Originally posted by retired-sofa-spud

Actually he's out now and his stock is available through an e-bay seller.

He had several user name changes already but you can easily recognize his auctions by the picture style and description. Not sure now because I haven't checked wood on eBay for a long time.

karlkuehn

Banned

As far as the dogwood, since we can't see what the blanks look like, how can we compare it to the $72/bf spalted dogwood? The $6/bf stuff may be very plain wood with no character. Like comparing Straight grain Maple to Spalted Maple.

Great point Mike. Also, I'll take the word and work of a fellow pen turner and active IAP member over 'commercial' sellers any day. Anyone can cut up a bunch of boards into 3/4" sticks and call them pen blanks, but it takes someone who actually turns pens (more than one a month, too) to be able to spot and mill up good stuff.

Johnnie's honest, talented, has a great eye for what's going to make a good pen, and I'm proud to call him a friend and fellow member here. He's helped me (and others) a lot off the forum with tools, wood, moral support and friendship.

He's purchased stuff from me, I've purchased stuff from him, and we've traded a good bit, and neither of us have ever even thought twice about questioning 'value'. I trust his judgment without hesitation and I'm proud to have some of his product in my portfolio of pens. I, for one, can't wait to see the wood, the stuff he's got looks great! Dogwood's not exactly easy to come by, at least not for me, so $3 for a 5" blank makes me happy when I know I'll get at least 10 times that for the pen that I make from it.

I understand what everyone is saying about being a family and helping others out. I also understand that there is no such thing as free wood. I also understand being in business and making a profit.

Yes, I can also see that the seller may not realize that his price is too high.

I'm not talking about PR blanks, wood blanks that have been stabilized or enhanced like Karl's. These require a higher price because of the extra work on part of the seller.

But these are different topics.

Maybe I'm out of line, but sometimes I think there are some vendors are taking advantage of others. That just bothers me. This is not the first time I called out a seller when I thought a price was to high or what he was selling wasn't quite right.

Like George mentioned, sometimes a new turner may not be aware of how much they should be charge for wood. I'm hoping those links will spread light on what can be purchased and what type of price certain blanks demand.

You can get spalted maple for $5-$8 bd ft http://tinyurl.com/5pavmj

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA

I understand what everyone is saying about being a family and helping others out. I also understand that there is no such thing as free wood. I also understand being in business and making a profit.

Yes, I can also see that the seller may not realize that his price is too high.

I'm not talking about PR blanks, wood blanks that have been stabilized or enhanced like Karl's. These require a higher price because of the extra work on part of the seller.

But these are different topics.

Maybe I'm out of line, but sometimes I think there are some vendors are taking advantage of others. That just bothers me. This is not the first time I called out a seller when I thought a price was to high or what he was selling wasn't quite right.

Like George mentioned, sometimes a new turner may not be aware of how much they should be charge for wood. I'm hoping those links will spread light on what can be purchased and what type of price certain blanks demand.

Your motive is understandable, to be sure, Ron! :) The thing with Johnnie's dogwood is that it's not just 'furniture grade' board foot lumber. Looking at the couple of pictures that he posted, coupled with his description ("...and some of this will need to be stabilized...") tells me that this stuff is prime to be one-of-a-kind pen wood.

Granted, I'm not your average bear when I look at lumber for pens, and when I see 'needs to be stabilized', I read 'will suck dye in deep', and I start thinking about ways that that's a good thing.

With all the wormy and ...well...rotten...stuff I work with, being able to find usable stuff like that is tougher than you think, and to me, it's worth more because most of it ends up buried in landfills, burned, or left laying in its own rot. When you can find that kind of stuff that looks as good as J's stuff (really solid wood with really punky stuff attached), it becomes more of a rarity. Not to mention dogwood is hard as heck and doubly troublesome to cut up into usable pieces when such density differences.

We have a lot of highly imaginative and skilled people here who'll take stuff like Johnnie's and run with it, ending up with a pen that'd find its way onto the IAP homepage without a problem, whereas a regular old piece of wood on a pen just isn't 'cool' enough any more.

I hardly ever turn just a plain old wood pen anymore, unless I'm just trying to clear my head and bust out a 15 minute slimline, and that's what a lot of the $6/bf wood is.

I hope that makes sense, I'm not trying to start a wooden holy war here, but for me, at least, I like the way Johnnie thinks (outside the box) when he looks at lumber, and I'm willing to pay a little more for good fodder for my resin cannons...:D

jrc

The last 4 years I get 90% of all my wood from a local mill that makes flooring and get some of his cut offs. He saves me the best stuff. I never have to go out and look for wood. I give him some of the nicest pens . He's happy and I'm happy.

Russianwolf

Very true, in fact I have about 20 bf of it in my shop right now. But most of it isn't usable for pens as it's just not spaulted enough. Meaning the black lines aren't frequent enough to really stand out. that's why good spaulted maple blanks are $4+.

karlkuehn

Banned

Very true, in fact I have about 20 bf of it in my shop right now. But most of it isn't usable for pens as it's just not spaulted enough. Meaning the black lines aren't frequent enough to really stand out. that's why good spaulted maple blanks are $4+.

I see a lot of that same thing from my supplier, too. When it's in bigger boards, the spalting looks great for a jewelry box or something, but trying to slice it up and get pen blanks, I've had to chuck 80% of it into something else, dye, segment, etc. Having truly good spalt lines in a pen blank is kinda tough to get at 3/4" x 3/4", unless you get an out of this world piece of wood, which you're going to pay a lot more for no matter where you get it.

Originally posted by DocStram

Ron . . . Thanks for posting all of those links!

Not being much of a capitalist, I would have a hard time with the idea of over charging for a blank. This may just be my opinion, but if I come across some free wood in my neighborhood or a tree that I have taken down in the backyard, I would have a guilty conscience charging a lot for the blank. I'm not even sure how to figure out how much my time is worth cutting up blanks . . . especially if I'm keeping a bunch for myself.

Same Problem.. I've had to charge more for the postage than for my blanks.. they were free to me anyway and I was cutting them up for my own use, but had too many to use up and wanted to share.. my problem is that most of what I have now is spalted maple and there seems to be a glut on the market.

Rifleman1776

Mike, Dogwood isn't a particularly exciting wood to look at. What little grain it may, or may not, have isn't relevant. Folks like it because of the religious significance based on the Legend of the Dogwood. That is why (when I have enough to sell) I promote selling my blanks a month, or more before Easter.
Religious considerations aside, Dogwood dries very hard and is sought after by some for use as gavels and woodcarving mallets.

Jarheaded

Ron,
Thank you for removing that from my thread. I would be happy to discuss it with you peacefully and as men and maybe you can assist me in identifying the prices that I should be working with in the future. I would like to talk to you and Just put this in the past.
Thanks, Johnnie

Rifleman1776

Frank, have you seen the dogwood thatJarheaded is offering in the classifieds? It's anythig but plain looking to me.

Didn't look closely. Maybe I should have said "generally isn't...". It can have pretty pink shading. And, like any wood, if spalted can be interesting. But, generally, fairly plain stuff.

Nolan

Dario and George thanks for the plug and I am sure you can scan the whole internet and not find better prices than my per pound price of the wood I sell especially the AU burl.

Dario

Originally posted by n4631x

Dario and George thanks for the plug and I am sure you can scan the whole internet and not find better prices than my per pound price of the wood I sell especially the AU burl.

Nolan,

I know it because I used to scour the internet for the best price and no one (that I know of) can touch your price.

It is not a plug actually, just helping our members know where to buy at great prices especially when buying in bulk.

Top Bottom