wood score

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Just got back from a week in CT. I flew this time, but I took an extra duffle bag with me since Southwest gives you two free checked bags.

I brought back fifty pounds of red cedar, spalted maple, and really curly maple. Got some peculiar looks from TSA, but they didn't object, after I showed them my purse pens. At Bradley, you check your bags, then haul them over to be x-rayed by TSA. They make you wait while they x-ray them in case they want to look inside.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Congratulations Sharon!

It always feels good to be able to pick up some great pieces of wood like that during a trip and bring it home. . . I've waited an the x-ray many times. Some airports do that.

Nice score! If you ever go to Hawaii and buy any Koa you'll usually get pulled out at the Ag inspection. Only question I ever got asked was if it was kiln dried. Now I ship it home via U.S. Mail (priority). Have fun turning some of this wood.

gr8macbeth

I had an experience like that there too, except it was 40 pounds of leather working tools. I almost missed my flight, with the amount of time it took them going through them all. I didn't expect any problems because I was checking the bag. I was so wrong. I am glad you made it through, and it sounds like a great score.

Woodchipper

Airport security shows inconsistencies from place to place. There was the story about TSA confiscating a little old lady's knitting needles as a security threat. But they don't confiscate ballpoint pens, pencils, magazines, etc. Anyone who has served in special ops can list a sackful of everyday items that can be used as weapons.
Back in the late 70s my wife and I were going through Atlanta late one night before all this security stuff. The inspector looked through my wife's purse and started laughing. My wife asked what was so funny. My wife had some cookies in her purse. The inspector said it was very rare to see a lady's purse that didn't have something to eat. She had seen the full gamut- cookies, crackers, chicken legs, sandwiches, etc.

sbwertz

Funniest one was when I packed an electric chain saw in my checked luggage. The power switch was broken and I was taking it to my dad to fix. I put a note on top of it saying it was electric...no fuel. There was one of the little notes in my suitcase when I got to OK saying it had been opened and examined.

My dad had a couple of cuckoo clock weights in his luggage one time. We have the biggest clock-parts store in the US here in town, and when he came to visit I always took him over there. He had an 8 day cuckoo clock he needed weights for. Those are big, heavy weights made from cast iron, shaped like pine cones. TSA saw them on the xray and thought they were hand grenades!

More4dan

Airport security shows inconsistencies from place to place. There was the story about TSA confiscating a little old lady's knitting needles as a security threat. But they don't confiscate ballpoint pens, pencils, magazines, etc. Anyone who has served in special ops can list a sackful of everyday items that can be used as weapons.
Back in the late 70s my wife and I were going through Atlanta late one night before all this security stuff. The inspector looked through my wife's purse and started laughing. My wife asked what was so funny. My wife had some cookies in her purse. The inspector said it was very rare to see a lady's purse that didn't have something to eat. She had seen the full gamut- cookies, crackers, chicken legs, sandwiches, etc.

TSA confiscated her knitting needles because they didn't want her knitting an Afghan on the flight! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom