Wood in the mail Q

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I am sitting here nursing wounded pride and a DAMHIKT moment, and a wee bit grumpy because I live in the sticks.

Then I see Mr. Brook's gloat over wood which is the source of my grumpiness. Then I notice he nabbed it from Ebay.

What has been your experience purchasing wood through the mail? I am really picky about lumber and would rather hold it in my hand to inspect before buying. Obviously that is not an option. Buying through the mail makes this a very uncertain process for me. I don't want to spend the money and get a water damaged, warped, or split piece of wood.

Do you folks have people you trust who you could recommend to me?

I am just getting back into this whole wood working thing so not looking for huge quantities, just random bits and pieces, bowl blanks, pepper mill blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

There are a couple of good dealers on eBay, one is NCwood, but shipping is a bugger unless they have an arrangement with Fed X, Exotics are risky though, but I've gotten some good deals on Amboyna and some other nice exotic woods, Cook woods is ok, most of the time you'll get something close to the pictures, main thing is watch the shippimg.

Brooks803

With the seller I buy from on ebay he shows all sides of the blank for sale and if there are any major defects he puts them in the description. What you see is what you're buying/bidding on. Thats what got me to try him as a seller to start with. Once I was comfortable with what I was buying I moved into larger orders. I'm like you, I want to see what I'm buying. Not a stock photo online or in a catalog. Shop around and see what each seller has to offer. Find the ones that cater to your needs and has affordable shipping rates. Give them a tryout period and see if you find someone that has earned your business.

DSurette

I've been very happy with everything that I have gotten from Victor (LandfillLumber), West Penn Hardwoods, Onur (Turkish Walnut) and Australian Apricot from George (Robutacion). I've also gotten very nice BOW from Exoticblanks.com.

Last edited:

jimmyheikes

I purchase a tremendous amount of wood on both EBAY and the internet. A list of my most trusted suppliers includes:

Century Tree Turnings (Mike)
NCWood (Gary)
AppalachianSlabCo. (Tim)
Got Wood (Brad and Mike)
WoodTurningBlanks4U (Steve)
GriffinExoticWoods
OregonBurl (Greg)

I have been extremely pleased with the quality of blanks, burls, and burl caps that I have purchased from these individuals........Jimmy

ohiococonut

With the seller I buy from on ebay he shows all sides of the blank for sale and if there are any major defects he puts them in the description. What you see is what you're buying/bidding on. Thats what got me to try him as a seller to start with. Once I was comfortable with what I was buying I moved into larger orders. I'm like you, I want to see what I'm buying. Not a stock photo online or in a catalog. Shop around and see what each seller has to offer. Find the ones that cater to your needs and has affordable shipping rates. Give them a tryout period and see if you find someone that has earned your business.

+1 That's what I do and have no complaints with the people I've bought from.

Top Bottom