Wood lathe with an adjustable tailstock?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

So, I have been using a metal lathe a lot lately. Tailstocks on metal lathes have Gibs on either side which allow you to adjust the tailstock so it is directly aligned with the headstock.

I find this feature really necessary. All 3 of my wood lathes are not aligned properly. Frankly I can't believe they don't offer it on every lathe, wood or metal.

Anyways, is there a wood lathe that allows adjustment for this reason? I know they offer lathes with headstocks that rotate. Is that one of the reasons for the rotatation of the headstock?

Lewis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I think the tailstock can be adjusted on any full size lathe & probably some midis as well, although I don't have any experience with any midi lathes. Using fixed, machined guides on mini lathes is one way to keep the price down.

Rotating heads generally have fixed detents, so alignment with the tailstock is not the purpose of rotating the head.

stuckinohio

Well, I have a Jet 1221VS and it doesn't seem to have any Gibs, or any way of adjusting the alignment. I believe it's a MIDI?

I did find a video from JET with a full size lathe on one of their stands. They basically raised the feet to adjust the alignment, which seems to imply the bed flexes. I guess I could try that with mine, except my frame is different than that lathe.

Charlie_W

A rotating headstock is to allow the turning of objects larger than what will fit over the bed of a lathe.
I have not seen a wood lathe with any adjustment to the tailstock other than the locking mechanism.
I would like to have a lathe where the tailstock fits tighter in the ways and doesn't have slop which allows the center to move fore and aft.

stuckinohio

Charlie,

Not sure I understand your comment about tailstock so tight it won't be able to move fore and aft. The Gibs on a metal lathe are basically screws on either side. The tailstock is 2 piece and seems to be on a dovetail of sorts. You loosten one Gib and tighten the other Gib to slide the top part of the tailstock one way. The tailstock base doesn't move, so it slides freely as it is supposed to.

I find the tailstock being out of alignment extremely frustrating. It's mostly acceptable when just doing pens with kits. The problem is once you start making nose cones with narrow profiles at the point and making threaded finials and other parts, it becomes really obvious that the tailstock is out of alignment.

Lewis

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Metal lathes require tail stock adjustments in order to do precision work because the cutting tools generally ride on the lathe ways.

Since wood lathe turning is generally done with hand held tools & an adjustable tool rest, such a high degree of precision is not needed for most wood turning.

My NOVA DVR XP has removable & adjustable guide plates under the tail stock, so it is possible to get head-to-tail stock alignment with it as good as you can get with most metal lathes. I suspect that most, if not all, full size wood lathes have similar adjustments, but I can only speak definitively about mine.

Cheaper lathes generally have a fixed, machined guide bar. Better quality mini & midi lathes will have better machining tolerances and will be easier to get good alignment. Real cheapies will have more slop.

Your 1221VS has a fixed guide bar, so there's probably not much you can do about side-to-side adjustments.

My Excelsior mini (identical to one of the HF lathes) is similar, but probably with more slop than your Jet. I have learned how much to push the tail stock in or out when I position it before I lock it down in order to get good alignment. Just a fact of life with cheaper lathes.

duncsuss

My NOVA DVR XP has removable & adjustable guide plates under the tail stock

Same with my Nova 1624-44.

I usually adjust the alignment of head & tail immediately before beginning to make a pen -- it's especially critical with kitless pens.

The Nova Acruline device (a double-ended Morse taper) makes it a simple job, takes less than 5 minutes.

stuckinohio

Edgar and duncsuss,

Thank you for that information. That is perfect!

Unfortunately I've tried to hold the tailstock in place and tighten it down, but there is very minimal slop so I can't adjust it enough.

Lewis

KBs Pensnmore

I very much doubt that you'll find a lathe that has this facility, unless you're prepared to pay big bucks, even then I doubt that it would be to the standard of a metal working lathe. It all comes down to price.
If you need this facility, look on Craig's list for a metal working lathe.
Kryn

stuckinohio

Fortunately I already have a metal lathe, that's how I got spoiled!

I very much doubt that you'll find a lathe that has this facility, unless you're prepared to pay big bucks, even then I doubt that it would be to the standard of a metal working lathe. It all comes down to price.
If you need this facility, look on Craig's list for a metal working lathe.
Kryn

robersonjr

Just bought a Laguna REVO 18/36 a couple months ago. both the head stock and tail stock are adjustable, I am very pleased so far with this machine.
Robbie

stuckinohio

Just bought a Laguna REVO 18/36 a couple months ago. both the head stock and tail stock are adjustable, I am very pleased so far with this machine.
Robbie

Funny timing for you mentioning that. I was just looking at that feature on that machine, as well as the NovaDVR and 1624 or whatever number it is.

I would love to have the Laguna, as I already have their table saw and their band saw, but at that price, it isn't happening any time soon!

Lewis

robersonjr

Robbie

Funny timing for you mentioning that. I was just looking at that feature on that machine, as well as the NovaDVR and 1624 or whatever number it is.

I would love to have the Laguna, as I already have their table saw and their band saw, but at that price, it isn't happening any time soon!

Lewis
Yes it was a little spendy but I did get 10% off, that plus selling my Nova and a few other things, I was able to not be out very much cash and I am more than pleased.

Top Bottom