Wood Identity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rounder

Can anyone ID the wood in the second and third pens from the left? I made these but have no idea what type wood they are. Would like to know so I can label for a sidewalk sale this weekend.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Attachments

• P1040984.JPG
    P1040984.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 341
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I would say #2 is curly mango, I have also turned some curly Indian almond that is similar but a little darker. Koa is also similar, but tends to be even darker in my opinion. #3 is tought, not a lot to go off of from the pic. I'd say red gum eucalyptus burl, but that's a shot in the dark. Here are two that I made a while back from these woods.

Attachments

• PSX_20180314_205413.jpg
    PSX_20180314_205413.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 135
  • PSX_20180314_205909.jpg
    PSX_20180314_205909.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 139

robutacion

Well, I seem to recognise a few of my woods in that lot and as such, I would say that the second pen is from #51- Silky Oak and the third from #9c - Colonial Red Gum Curly.

Cheers
George

sbwertz

Hi George...just made a pen and pen stand at the center from number 57b Australian Peppercorn. Beautiful.

Last edited:

nativewooder

I think both the second and third pens are WOOD! I didn't purchase the wood so I can't tell you what it is. Were you somehow incapacitated when you purchased the mystery wood? It's amazing to me how you and others can keep buying merchandise and then expect millions of total strangers to do what you neglected to do! Just sell them for one dollar each and consider it another lesson in common sense!:biggrin:

Rounder

I think both the second and third pens are WOOD! I didn't purchase the wood so I can't tell you what it is. Were you somehow incapacitated when you purchased the mystery wood? It's amazing to me how you and others can keep buying merchandise and then expect millions of total strangers to do what you neglected to do! Just sell them for one dollar each and consider it another lesson in common sense!:biggrin:

You are making assumptions in your post of which you have no knowledge about what actually happened. I have always heard that a person should never assume. Just look at how the word is spelled. Ass-u-me.
I didn't purchase the wood. It was given to me by someone that didn't know what it was. It wasn't marked and they had it for some time and didn't remember what it was. I didn't "expect" anyone to know what the wood was. I was just asking for opinions as to what they might be as I thought they were both very pretty and wanted more of it. And it is amazing to me that a total stranger can get on a forum and think they know everything about a situation that they have not had anything to do with at all. Talk about another lesson in common sense!:biggrin:

PatrickR

Well, that was uncalled for.

Ambidex

Wow...I thought somehow I had opened facebook instead of IAP. Seems someone of age to retire would have learned some civility.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus

Seriously? Take your crap elsewhere. You have no common sense. Jackass.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Rounder

I aapreciate everyone's attempts to identify the pens I asked about. Sorry we had to have the one negative poster as IAP doesn't normally see this stuff. This is the BEST place on the internet and I am proud to be a part of this wonderful community. It was a first for me to have such a post directed at me from someone I had never communicated with.

ajollydds

Don't sweat it. I have at least 2-3 dozen blanks that I have no clue what species they are. Once they get turned down they are either "pretty Wood"or "to be used for segmenting". If that makes me a moron, put me on the losers train.

sbwertz

You think YOU have a lot of unidentified blanks. So many IAP members have donated beautiful blanks to the blind center, and except for George's, that are all numbered, I have no idea what some of them are. Plus, people give me "pretty logs" that I cut up. (One was palo verde root...really pretty) but many are "pretty wood." I have the wood identification posters, and they help a lot, but many are the "probably acacia" or "probably eucalyptus" type of pen. (There are a LOT of different types of eucalyptus and they all look different!)

nativewooder, you are making the assumption that most of us BUY our blanks. Maybe 1 percent of the blanks we have were bought. Some bubinga and macacauba, and that is about it for me. The rest is traded for, donated to the blind center, or cut from local woods.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

I, for one, really enjoy taking a shot at the wood ID threads. The fallout on this one was less fun, but like a trainwreck I couldn't look away. Definitely nothing you did Randy, I enjoyed seeing your work and it was fun to see what others thought the wood might be.

Rounder

An update on the wood types. The second one is curly koa. The 3rd one is a redwood burl. The green (what I thought was acrylic) is bakelite. The seam ripper at the bottom is amboyna sapwood, not buckeye burl. I showed the finished pens to the person that gave them to me and he identified them for me. He hadn't turned in awhile and had just given me the box of blanks when he was moving. Hope that clears some things up.

robutacion

An update on the wood types. The second one is curly koa. The 3rd one is a redwood burl. The green (what I thought was acrylic) is bakelite. The seam ripper at the bottom is amboyna sapwood, not buckeye burl. I showed the finished pens to the person that gave them to me and he identified them for me. He hadn't turned in awhile and had just given me the box of blanks when he was moving. Hope that clears some things up.

Glad you have a more accurate identification of the blanks you needed a name for and off-course, my realisation I was incorrect, bugger...!

As for nativewooder, I don't think that it was necessary to make such comments nor the "tone" that came with it, sincerely hope you apologise and prevent that sort of "attack" to anyone on IAP in the future, totally unnecessary...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom