Wood identification?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Parrain

It's pretty dense, dry but heavy for its size. I found it in a stack of mixed firewood. So I'm pretty sure that it's domestic. Shown with mineral spirits to enhance the grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

10bce3b4e5a7f4add260dae841d0a3ff.jpg
cae97a63c77d9d3b358176ff6ef527e0.jpg

Dehn0045

My first thought was Russian Olive, it is an invasive species in Texas but I'm not sure how common it is in your area. Weight and hardness are similar to red oak.
russian olive
Russian Olive | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)

Not totally convinced by my first guess, I continued thinking, so my second guess is some sort of apple, possibly crab apple. The hardness and weight are more in line with pecan hickory (maybe a little heavier).
apple
Apple | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)

Parrain

Thank you Sam! Russian olive looks to be a contender. The apple while maybe a little closer in color has a much more open grain and (not really sure how to put this) maybe more starkly defined grain pattern? The grain lines are distinct whereas the wood the grain lines kinda merge back and forth if that makes sense. The firewood was in a prepackaged bundle at the orange box so I can't be sure that it's local.

rednecksax

Looks very similar to the Russian Olive wood that I have . It's colours and grain very greatly depending on what part of the tree or branch the wood comes from . It is beautiful when finished .

leehljp

Member Liaison
Looks like pecan to me. The lighter wood (end shot of top photo) reminds me of some hickory, but pecan has light sap wood too. The darker reminds me of finely finished pecan.

Top Bottom