Wood ID Request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
These are from a couple of the Woodcraft 2x2x6 domestic combo packs that I bought when they were on sale recently. Of course, none of the wood was labeled. I was able to identify most of the blocks, but I'm not certain about these 4. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Edgar

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 163
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 149
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 120
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 151
  • FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 178
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I tried to adjust the colors to get as close to realistic as I could :)

I kinda doubt if the one on the right is Walnut, but I suppose it's possible. There was a Walnut & a Maple in each pack of 4 and those were quite obvious. The first & third were in one 4-pack & the second & fourth were in another pack.

The two on the right (from different packs) look like they are probably the same species. The two on the right seem different, but I'm not sure what they are.

Hey, DO - I never claimed to be any good at wood identification - I found that it was less frustrating to run those contests than to participate in them. :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

robutacion

These are from a couple of the Woodcraft 2x2x6 domestic combo packs that I bought when they were on sale recently. Of course, none of the wood was labeled. I was able to identify most of the blocks, but I'm not certain about these 4. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Edgar

Oh boy...! and why do these people continue to not tag/identify what they sell...? :confused:

While I feel a lot more comfortable in identifying wood species from my neck of the woods, as mentioned previously, pics can be deceptive and so can each particular wood piece shown as the same tree species are capable of producing quite different wood tones, and growth ring density reason sometimes you have to go with what you think makes the best match.

With that said, and from the samples, you are showing us and particularly its store origin, I would advise you to have a look at this web site Dendrology at Virginia Tech and you could be satisfied with finding the best match possible.

IN MY VIEW, the first 2 samples seemed to be from the same tree species, as for sample 3, my first thought was White Ash and the 4th sample the Black Ash.

One of the main give aways by looking at end grain wood samples particularly of that size (square) is that woods with wide growth rings (spaces) does mean that they are fast growing trees, Ashes being one of the main culprits but not only so, when trying to identify tree species when end grain images are available, there are 3 main distinct possibilities (just to simplify things, off-course...!), dense, medium density and soft woods, is a lot easier to attempt concentrating one one of these than the whole 3, huh...?

I'm not so sure about the first 2 samples, though...!

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom