Wood ID help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Don't remember where I got this blank from. Friend of mine wanted a 'manly' pen for someone and he's got a deadline. Didn't have much to choose from ( wood or kits) on hand but came across this. Reminded me of walnut the way it turned but it's got some light streaks. Don't remember where I got it from...

DSC02552.jpg

DSC02561.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tuba707

It is Pau Ferro/Morado. Both names are used (correctly) for the same wood. It is often called Bolivian Rosewood as well, but it is not a true rosewood and real Bol. rosewood has less of the "walnut" look.

Skye

Cool deal. I noticed that although it was bone dry (in the attic too long) it still took the CA with an attitude like an oily wood. Not easy, but got it done after a half dozen coats and sandings.

Thanks for the info!

M

monkeynutz

I've seen some DI with much the same look. As for the soakage rate on CA, the denser woods will often take it slow (that's another reason my first thought was toward the DI).

Tuba707

It does have some resemblance to DI, but the grain pattern def. looks like morado to me. I got a big batch of the stuff for next to nothing about a year ago and it turns very nicely.

If it is morado, it should have some nice chatoyance when finished, although not as much as DI. But more than it seems like the morado would have in rough form =)

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
At first glance, it looked sort of like chechem to me. (black poisonwood)
But the little bit of pinkish tint also looks like morado.
The two CAN look similar, depending on what part of the wood you get.
chechem can look absolutely boring, dull gray or it can be stunning.
If it lights up when you turn it, I might favor the chechem. It is more
chatoyant than the morado, but I feel like dunce not knowing what the DI
stands for.

ps .. nice finish!

Skye

Well Al, it didn't smell like poo, so it wasn't some of your marblewood or whatever that was, lol

It didn't smell like mesquite. It really had the feel of walnut, so I'm guessing one of the earlier guesses may be it...

Top Bottom