Wood ID

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I have several pieces of this for a couple of years now, but have no idea what it is. It seems like I should, but it escapes me. Any guesses?

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 173
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Here is my guess: circassian walnut. Highly figured and in demand for high end firearms. Will google it and see if I am right.
Only been wrong once in my life and that's when I thought I was wrong. :rotfl:
Google the name- I found several pictures that look very close.

Last edited:

robutacion

I have some old Olive wood that looks similar however, the colour would match if coated but I don't think the wood in your pics is coated so it may not be.

The other wood that comes to mind is the Apricot wood, again I have some that look identical.

Cheers
George

jcm71

Four better pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 157

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have had some bubinga that had grain patterns similar. Redish toned wood, and rich grain contrasts are much sought after.

This was my guess also. I used to get very similar wood like that at specialty wood stores when I lived in Japan. I haven't seen it around since being back in the States (Mid South).

jcm71

A fellow turner (bowls and vases) stopped by my booth yesterday, and saw a bangle that I had turned with another piece of the mystery wood. His verdict was bubinga. By the way, Hank, Mississippi is deep south. :biggrin:

jj9ball

Funny story. I'm the one you bought it from. Here is its whole story. I got it as part of an exchange deal with a guy I was getting amboyna burl from whose family lived in southeast asia. When his brother would go out and harvest amboyna and afzelia burl caps he would sometimes get a little extra from the tree, or cut a little too deep. Anywho, that is exactly what this piece is. I believe the best classification you could give it would be Narra wood or even curly Narra ( I believe a couple of those pieces in this lot were curly). Now I can't promise you on a stack of bibles that is exactly what this is, but much of the story fits. The wood is sufficiently dense to be Narra and the coloring is consistent with Narra wood and most important this is the story that I got from the guy who gave it to me when I asked. I hope this helps. I had made a couple of pens from it and really liked how well it polished up. Hopefully you are enjoying using it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
A fellow turner (bowls and vases) stopped by my booth yesterday, and saw a bangle that I had turned with another piece of the mystery wood. His verdict was bubinga. By the way, Hank, Mississippi is deep south. :biggrin:

It's all relative! :biggrin:

Memphis has advertised itself as the "Mid-South" ever since I can remember. And I do live in the shadows of Memphis. I am closer to St. Louis than I am NO LA.

Top Bottom