2016-05-01 16.52.25.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 2016-05-01 16.51.46.jpg
    2016-05-01 16.51.46.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
How did you acquire it? In a store, or locally from someone or from a construction site? That might give a hint as to where it might have come from.

Knowing you are from Tennessee - my guess from the color is pecan.

Last edited:

jimm1

How did you acquire it? In a store, or locally from someone or from a construction site? That might give a hint as to where it might have come from.

Knowing you are from Tennessee - my guess from the color is pecan.

A lady dropped it off at my front door with a note, "Jim, thought you might be able to use this." That was it.

duncsuss

There are two very accomplished wood ID guys who hang out on the Woodbarter forum (woodbarter.com) -- and there's a subforum devoted to the subject.

Paul Hinds runs his own "HobbitHouse Wood ID site" -- HERE -- with a huge number of wood types photographed and identified. He's also written several articles on the anatomy of wood, but they are beyond me.

Just from looking at the pix on his site, I can tell yours is unlikely to be pecan (the end-grain photo of yours shows the little holes are more or less uniformly spread across the year-rings, where pecan has them concentrated in one side of each year-ring ... I think the technical terms are "ring diffuse" versus "ring porous").

leehljp

Member Liaison
There are two very accomplished wood ID guys who hang out on the Woodbarter forum (woodbarter.com) -- and there's a subforum devoted to the subject.

Paul Hinds runs his own "HobbitHouse Wood ID site" -- HERE -- with a huge number of wood types photographed and identified. He's also written several articles on the anatomy of wood, but they are beyond me.

Just from looking at the pix on his site, I can tell yours is unlikely to be pecan (the end-grain photo of yours shows the little holes are more or less uniformly spread across the year-rings, where pecan has them concentrated in one side of each year-ring ... I think the technical terms are "ring diffuse" versus "ring porous").

The end grain made me think it wasn't, but the color did. Years of experience also tells me that color on computer screens and reality don't match that well. Other than that, I do have some pecan with colors that match those, but not the grain.

Thanks for the input.

duncsuss

The end grain made me think it wasn't, but the color did. Years of experience also tells me that color on computer screens and reality don't match that well. Other than that, I do have some pecan with colors that match those, but not the grain.

I couldn't agree more about the colors -- I've been around folks trying to achieve perfect color reproduction, the lengths they must go to (neutral gray walls, controlled lighting, calibrated monitors, calibrated scanners, calibrated cameras ... even the color of the shirt they are wearing when they work at the computer -- eeeeek!)

From what I've read, the end grain is a much stronger indicator than face grain and coloration. Unless I misunderstood what I read, which is something I never rule out :redface:

The Penguin

I agree not pecan. pecan can vary wildly from white-ish to browns and everything in between. Depends on how alive or dead the tree was when cut.

looks a bit like a piece of monkeypod I have.

Top Bottom