Wish Me Luck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

I've let the people in the town that I live talk me into running for mayor this time. Everybody says they will vote for me. I told them today that I would do it. But I've still got to fill the paper work out. Wish me luck and pray for me. There's only about 2000 people here. But I've never had that many people looking to me for answers. :eek::eek::eek:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

I've let the people in the town that I live talk me into running for mayor this time. Everybody says they will vote for me. I told them today that I would do it. But I've still got to fill the paper work out. Wish me luck and pray for me. There's only about 2000 people here. But I've never had that many people looking to me for answers. :eek::eek::eek:

Done . It can be very rewarding (hopefully not financially) and you will learn a lot . Obviously your friends think you are level headed and not one who one who considers himself always right and knowing everything about a subject . As I`m sure you know , one always learns more when listening than when speaking . Sometimes one person on a council will make a comment about a problem that will almost immediately change everyone else`s opinion , just because he/she has a different viewpoint .

No idea what size Council you would be on . In my opinion , 7-9 is best to get a wide range of viewpoints , hopefully including female ones . Larger Councils tend to be dominated by strong personalities and it is difficult to get the more reticent to speak out . You must ensure that everyone speaks to each topic of discussion .

Good luck , and enjoy yourself . If the Council functions as it should , the other members should become good friends - that doesn`t mean you will always agree .

OZturner

Good Luck,and Best Wishes, JP.
Remember, it is Highly Unlikely, That you Will Please All of the People, All Of The Time.
But Here's Hoping That you Will Please Some of the People, Some of the Time.
And if you can, you will be doing Better, than our Local Municipal Council.

I believe That most of your Constituents are Mainly Concerned with the Three Municipal "R's"
Being, Rubbish, Rates, and Roads.
Congratulations, And I Trust That you will make a Difference.
Brian.

MTViper

Good luck with it. I'm in my 3rd term on Council in a Texas town about twice the size of yours. It's a great learning experience and serving experience. Only one problem with being Mayor rather than a Councilman - Mayor doesn't get to vote (unless there's a tie). Enjoy it and really get to know your city.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Good luck &'best wishes, JP.

I know you will do a good job & thanks for being willing to serve your community. Keep us posted on how things go.

bpgoldo

John, best of luck....good for you...remember this is volunteer service to your community. The most important tools are listening, and the harder version of that, hearing. Do it because you are committed to doing right, and not being recognized and applauded for it. AND....as a very famous US Air Force General once advised me, "the higher up you climb on the flag pole, the more folks get a clean shot at your butt."

liljohn1368

John, best of luck....good for you...remember this is volunteer service to your community. The most important tools are listening, and the harder version of that, hearing. Do it because you are committed to doing right, and not being recognized and applauded for it. AND....as a very famous US Air Force General once advised me, "the higher up you climb on the flag pole, the more folks get a clean shot at your butt."

Thanks..:biggrin::biggrin: I'm going to try my best to keep my butt covered.:eek::eek:

Mr gimpy thanks for your prayers and I don't think there is such a job that will keep me from my shop. I'll have to manage both. :biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks everybody for all your kind words and prayers.

liljohn1368

Wanted to fill everybody in on how the campaign is going. So far I'm leading in the poles. I didn't realize that I had this many friends. Everybody but one man has told me that they will vote for me. The other guy was the mayors brother. I think that I have a really good chance at winning this. I read Proverbs 19:20 this morning and it really stuck with me. Thanks everybody for saying a prayer for me and wishing me good luck.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If you get elected... My condolences! (Yup - A JOKE). But seriously, public service, is an incredibly serious and rewarding and frustrating endeavor.

KUDOS for you wanting to "Make a difference!" Best wishes.

liljohn1368

... I read Proverbs 19:20 this morning and it really stuck with me. Thanks everybody for saying a prayer for me and wishing me good luck.

Better that than Psalm 109:8 !!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I hope things go well for you. When is the election?

That is a bad one for someone looking for office work. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The election is June 6th..

tomas

I tried running for a seat on the school board. The day before I was going to file the paperwork, I had a heart attack. That taught me to avoid politics.

Tomas

liljohn1368

... I read Proverbs 19:20 this morning and it really stuck with me. Thanks everybody for saying a prayer for me and wishing me good luck.

Better that than Psalm 109:8 !!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I hope things go well for you. When is the election?

That is a bad one for someone looking for office work. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The election is June 6th..

I've got to change my answer to this. The election is normally the first Tuesday in June. But this time everybody ran democrat. So the election is May 2nd. Yep a little over a week and a half. :eek::eek: I still fill really good about winning the election. I think it was the work that I put into this and the prayers of all of this forum. Once I get elected I'll have 2 months before I take over.

Thanks,

Top Bottom