Wire Inlay(anyone do it)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

I am considering attemting wire inlay on a pen. Has anyone tried it and how well did it work out? I will be using nickelsilver wire for it if I try. I am wondering if I should just go ahead with the extra expense and buy silver wire.

Any input from you professionals would be welcome.

Thanks

Phil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

yea, I did one long ago where I wrapped it using the lathe and then did a CA finish over it. I used copper wire. There's a tutorial somewhere and someone used copper wire and solder around the tube and then spun it smooth, that's neat too. I wouldn't call any of it knock your socks off, but it's neat and unusual.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I tried it, years ago---before IAP.

Made the path with a dremel tool, inserted the wire, CA to the wood (did not go all the way to the tube). Used Cigar pen so there would be some meat.

DISASTER!!! Tool caught the wire and everything went downhill rapidly!! Tried two more times--never got one to work.

My only suggestion: Be VERY careful turning when you get to the ends of the wire. And I would try Epoxy htese days, instead of CA.

I used sterling silver jewelry wire, square (1mm??) Been a long time!

Last edited:

PenMan1

Ed is right, it IS hard to do. And, if you are finally successful, the wire will tarnish, quickly and not look so good. DAMHIKT:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed is right, it IS hard to do. And, if you are finally successful, the wire will tarnish, quickly and not look so good. DAMHIKT:)

Thanks Andy---I am now almost happy it did NOT work!!......................................well, ALMOST!!!

KBs Pensnmore

I've done one using recycled black plastic as a base, then used the Beall PW to put in a groove, laid in the copper wire and used CA over the top of it all. It came out very neat with the copper wire polished by using sand paper and more CA to seal it in.
It is on a fat slimline with the wire doing one rotation from top to bottom.
Will try to get a photo of it!
Regards
Kryn

Jgrden

I did one, with a small sliver of regular metal wire. I was pleased, although it wasn't the best. It sold and the customer knew what they had. I would use the real silver, now that I experienced the first test.

Top Bottom