WINNER - 2018 SE Youth Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

I was going to wait until September 1, 2018 to post the results but was persuaded to go ahead and post now.

The 2018 SUMMER EXTRAVAGANZA - 14 and under youth contest Winner is:

Joshua Lyons age 12, the son of Dave Lyons (IAP - lyonsacc)

DSCF3019 2.jpg

I learned how to make a brick pen at the Akron pen meeting. The wood is cherry and the thin stuff is walnut. Lots of gluing and clamping. I used a hand saw and miter box to do the cuts.
My dad helped with the finish because I kept sanding through it.

Thanks,
Joshua Lyons

Our Runner up is:

Nadia Torpey age 13, the granddaughter of Charlie Gabriel (IAP - Dieseldoc)

IMG_0455.jpg

Mr Vic
Inter my Cigarillo Pen from CSUSA on Red Pearl blank from Packard in the IAP Youth Pen Making Contest 2018. Used pre drilled blank,set tube in with Gorilla glue, let set over night, squared up blank on jig with disc sander.
Turned on wood lathe mandrel using gouge, finishing down to bushing size with sand paper, ending up with 600 grit, micro mesh to 12,000, polish out with Hut Ultra Gloss Pen Polish, assembly with turners press.
My project took a full day with Papa Charlie coaching.

Congrats to both our entrants for a job well done!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Both pens are top notch!
Congratulations to Joshua as the winner! Nadia, yours is a winner also.

Great work and wonderful pens, both of you. I look forward to your entries in the next BASH.

lyonsacc

Thanks!

DSCF3025.jpg

From Josh:
"Thank you for voting for my pen. This was the hardest pen I've ever done. The pen took me weeks of work, though it was enjoyable to make. I got the idea at the Akron pen gathering when I saw mark james show our group how to make a castle pen."

From Dave:
Mark - thanks for the help/advice.
Every couple of days he sarcastically asks me of I have ever made such a complicated and good pen. My answer is always "No, Josh, the pens I have made are not that complex or that good." As he wanders off with a little smirk on his face he adds "Don't steal this one like you did the other one" (my usual carry pen is one he made a few years ago).

Anyway, kind of a bummer that there were only 2 entries. It is always a good excuse to get young ones into the shop.

Dieseldoc

Mr Vic:

Nadia had a great time putting together her pen and due to her age she will be over the youth group next year . However that not going to stop her from turning more stuff, in fact next weekend she will be working with me on resin casting which is a good thing as she does have the eye for color.

Next year I will have a grandson on the lathe making his pen for the contest. Surly within our group of turners I do hope we get more entries in the contest.

Fun project, I sure do enjoy teaching young turners.

Cheers

Charlie

TonyL

Charlie: I sent the Amazon e-gift card early this morning; I don't think Nadia opened it yet.

Top Bottom