Wings time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

I enjoy chicken wings. They are probably my favorite food. As a kid living in upstate New York, I would go on snowmobile rides with my grandfather to the different "ski lodges" aka bars. My grandmother would bake them.

So they were always a staple in my life, however when I was in my early 20's is when they became what they are to me now.

I have discovered when frying wings use Peanut oil, for me that gives the best flavor. How I cook them is I put flower on them, will throw in garlic powder/salt, onion powder/salt, other seasonings, sometimes some lemon pepper and bread them that way. After the peanut oil is hot fry them, and allow them to float for a bit (some take them out once they are floating). Then put your sauce in a bowl and roll your wings in them.

As a matter of fact the attached image is a wing sauce my grandmother used to get when we lived in New York. At times we have been able to find it around here in Virginia, however it has been a couple years since I have seen it. I ended up ordering a case of it and having it delivered.

What are your wing tips/sauces?

Attachments

• wing sauce.jpg
    wing sauce.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 109
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Burb

Hmm. That sounds yummy!! I'v never been a big wings guy, though I do like them occasionally. Ever since I bought my Primo XL Kamado-style grill last year I do lots of cooking and some occasionally smoking on it. Learning lots.

Side note: Where exactly in Upstate NY did you grow up? I are up near Great Peak Ski Resort in Virgil NY, near Cortland.

gtriever

We used to fry them, but now bake them. Rub them with peanut or olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake at 400 for 45 minutes. Dunk'em in Frank's Wing Sauce and back in the oven for 5 minutes to let the sauce set. If you want them hotter, dunk'em again and go back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes.

Elbow-lickin' good!

edicehouse

Hmm. That sounds yummy!! I'v never been a big wings guy, though I do like them occasionally. Ever since I bought my Primo XL Kamado-style grill last year I do lots of cooking and some occasionally smoking on it. Learning lots.

Side note: Where exactly in Upstate NY did you grow up? I are up near Great Peak Ski Resort in Virgil NY, near Cortland.

I was foothills of the Adirondacks, Oppenheim, near Little Falls

tomtedesco

OK I know if you ask two cooks how they do something you get four answers. Here's mine. Bake wings about an hour at 325, drain off any fat or fluid, put in two or three cups of hot sauce and bake another hour, mixing wings with sauce in pan until done. Put wings and remaining hot sauce under broiler and broil about 10 minutes until crisp, flip them over and broil other side. Sauce has cooked into wings and broiling crisps them up, no fat or oil needed.

Kenny Durrant

I have lots of help when I eat wings. The first thing I do is walk into Wing Stop and tell them I need a boneless combo all original with fries and a diet coke. We make an excellent team!

edicehouse

A few years ago it was bad, I would have the 5 pound bag and prep them all, and cook them in a turkey fryer. Now I don't do as many at once in the small one in the kitchen.

MDWine

I guess I could learn to cook'm, but I'd rather just eat'm...
Instant gratification!
My son make a good mess of wings, but I'm not a great fan of the 'buffalo sauce'...
Plain 'ole fried chicken is my JAM!!

It all sounds good guys!! WHEN DO WE EAT? lol

Top Bottom