Window Rock Veterans Cemetary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

I got to spend a couple days in Window Rock and went to the Navajo veterans Cemetary and stitched these shots together. What a moving and serene feeling one gets standing here. I also went to the Window Rock Park where they honor the warriors lost and missing while serving their country. Unsung heros imho.

Attachments

• Winodw Rock Veterans Cemetary.jpg
    Winodw Rock Veterans Cemetary.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 186
  • window rock park1.jpg
    window rock park1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 188
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Now we have definetly walked the same ground. I was out there a few years ago and it was a very enlightening place.

Seer

Very moving if you understand how so many were ignored for so long and the sacrifices they gave for our country. One of the most relaxing parts of my trip.

Minotbob

Last Oct I went through Albaturkey and there was a festival going on in old town. There was a table there with 5 Navajo Code Talkers signing a book about them. Wow what an honor to be able to shake each of their hands.

Haynie

Nice to see someone cleaned the place up.

If you drove into Fort Defiance (little town at the bottom of the hill now called Tse Ho Tso) That is where I grew up. There was a time when every veterans day the place was cleaned and weeded. Lots of upkeep and pride, then it went to hell. Vandalized head stones everywhere, missing head stones, head stones with bullet chips out of them graves dug up with people looking for what the folks were buried with, American flags littering the place. It was disgraceful. Unfortunately it reflected the lack of pride people took in their communities at that time. The early 90s until I left the area in 08(Window Rock included). When I left I lived in Ganado (30 miles west of Window Rock) but spent a huge amount of time in Fort and Window Rock. I have not been back there in 4 years maybe things are starting to change. The pictures make me home sick.

ohiococonut

Not to steal the thread but since it was brought up I thought I'd share.

A few months ago I traveled to Cincinnati to help my sister with her 11th annual luau. This year it was to benefit Veterans but more specifically WWII Vets. In attendance was Bill Toledo of Torreon, NM. During the war he served as a Navajo Code Talker. The Japanese were known for breaking codes but were never able to decipher this one. The Navajo language is a complex unwritten language with no alphabet or symbols and has different dialects. Even a Navajo native could not understand what was being said without the proper training.

It was an extreme honor to meet this man not only because of what he had done during his career but how it affected me personally. Bill Toledo was part of engagements including the battle of Iwo Jima, the Battle of Bougainville in the British Solomon Islands, and the battle for Guam. For those that don't know I am originally from the Island of Guam.

I first met Bill at my sister's house on Friday, the day before the luau and we briefly talked. Most of the time I just sat and listened to him and another WWII vet exchange war stories. It was interesting to say the least and I was immediately impressed with this man. He was quiet and unassuming but would gladly answer any questions you had. Out of curiosity I did have a few questions about his tour on Guam. He landed on the beach head on July 21, 1944, which remains today as our day of liberation from the Japanese occupied forces. At one point during his tour he was taken prisoner because the Marines mistook him for a Japanese soldier and was marched at gunpoint back to the base. After confirming that he was a Navajo Code Talker he was assigned a body guard. I had to ask him about the movie Wind Talker and he answered my questions as I suspected. In the end we both agreed it was made for Hollywood.

Too often we sit in our homes, as a free nation of people, and complain of little things and we are only able to do this because of men like Bill Toledo. I literally owe my life to this man and anyone who served in the pacific campaign during WWII. I am eternally grateful for his unselfish commitment and heroism for without men and woman like him; I most likely would not be posting here today.

Here's a pic of me and Mr. Bill Toledo - Navajo Code Talker. He of course is the man with the medals.
MeBillToledoCodeTalker.jpg

Seer

These are some other pictures I also took while there.

Attachments

• IMG_5958.jpg
    IMG_5958.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5959.jpg
    IMG_5959.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5947.jpg
    IMG_5947.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 63

Seer

I was at FT Defiance doing an install of computer equipment in the housing area. For some reason the whole time I was there I seemed to be at peace with myself, whether it was the quietness, the history or just something but it was peaceful to me. We are going back for a vacation soon so I can explore more of the area.

Nice to see someone cleaned the place up.

If you drove into Fort Defiance (little town at the bottom of the hill now called Tse Ho Tso) That is where I grew up. There was a time when every veterans day the place was cleaned and weeded. Lots of upkeep and pride, then it went to hell. Vandalized head stones everywhere, missing head stones, head stones with bullet chips out of them graves dug up with people looking for what the folks were buried with, American flags littering the place. It was disgraceful. Unfortunately it reflected the lack of pride people took in their communities at that time. The early 90s until I left the area in 08(Window Rock included). When I left I lived in Ganado (30 miles west of Window Rock) but spent a huge amount of time in Fort and Window Rock. I have not been back there in 4 years maybe things are starting to change. The pictures make me home sick.

t001xa22

Thank you, Ohiococonut. Your response was particularly heatwarming to me because my dad was a proud Marine in that theater. His company had a few code talkers in it. Although he was not ever assigned to personally watch over them, he knew them. My dad never talked much about the War, but he would talk about these brave men with the utmost respect and admiration. Dad was often assigned as a forward observer, more often using a hardline telephone rather than a radio. When he used a telephone, he was usually by himself; when he used a radio, he was usually with a code talker because the radios were monitored by the Japanese. I will always stand in awe and respect for what these brave men did for us.

Texatdurango

If one were to visit the area, say from Holbrook would you take I-40 east to Chambers then north on 191 to Granada then east on 264 or take I-40 east to Lupton then north to Window Rock?

Seer

If one were to visit the area, say from Holbrook would you take I-40 east to Chambers then north on 191 to Granada then east on 264 or take I-40 east to Lupton then north to Window Rock?

Take 40 east to Lupton (BIA 12 road) George and head north. That is the fastest way but the other ways are more scenic.

thewishman

Jerry, Thanks for the photos. Window Rock is a beautiful area and your pictures make me miss it very much. I spent two years (80-82) on the Navajo Reservation and learned to respect and love the people.

There was a Memorial Day parade in Tuba City in 1980 that featured a group of about a dozen Code Talkers. Yesterday, there was an announcement of the death of Keith Little Of Fort Defiance, one of those brave men.

Top Bottom